If you could spend an hour with..

I’d want to spend an hour with Mary Todd Lincoln. If she wasn’t available, then I’d like to have time with my GGGrandmother. She could tell me all about the relative that fought and was a prisoner.
Actually, I don't know about prisons at that time, or what it was like for prisoners other than they were pretty awful. That would be interesting.
If I didn't already have a heap of open threads, I think I would open one on just this.

I'd like to have a chat with Heros von Borcke. I'd ask him about his motivation to sail from Europe and join the Confederacy. Maybe JEB'll be there too so we'd have a merry time. :D

I'd also like to enjoy dinner with Winfield Scott Hancock. He's said to be very hospitable. Maybe he'll share some of his more colorful curses with me. :laugh:

I would like to ask Thomas Ruger some questions, as he was a very competent general about whom nothing has been written, as far as I can tell.

Dear friends,
If you could have spent an hour drinking coffee and chewing hard crackers with a civil war figure, who would you choose?
My great great grandfather who enlisted in the spring of 1861 into Company A of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry

My third great-grandfather who died on the third day of Gettysburg, serving in a Gilmer Co Army of Northern Virginia unit, and is buried somewhere there. He was 27 years old and had 2 sons, without whom I would not be typing this note now. I think I know about where his body could be based on the movements of his unit those three days. He almost made it out of that bloodbath, but he and his cousin were killed on the same day. They were both grandsons of renowned Revolutionary patriots. Anyway, he is the one I would like to meet.

Dear friends,
If you could have spent an hour drinking coffee and chewing hard crackers with a civil war figure, who would you choose?
I would ask Abraham Lincoln what the hell was he smoking when he decided the south wasn't legally allowed to secede from the union, that Jack ***.

My CSA ancestors, Pvt Sam Watkins, Lee, EP Alexander, Pelham, that poor young man that is always on the cover of magazines or websites. looks like hes about 17, died at Malvern Hill, Lincoln, Davis..........in no particular order.

1. Thomas Jackson (if he felt like talking....)
2. Lewis Armistead
3. Wesley Culp
4. Fancy (aka Little Sorrel)

Dear friends,
I would wish to speak to Captain William McNeeley Gourley, a family member, who served with the 13th TN Cavalry, and was killed at Marion, Virginia on 16 December 1864 during the Battle of Saltville. I would have so many questions about our family and about the Bridge Burners of which he was one, who burned the bridges around Carter Co Tennessee. Thanks!

I would wish to speak to Captain William McNeeley Gourley, a family member, who served with the 13th TN Cavalry, and was killed at Marion, Virginia on 16 December 1864 during the Battle of Saltville. I would have so many questions about our family and about the Bridge Burners of which he was one, who burned the bridges around Carter Co Tennessee. Thanks!
No. Thank you. I love all these personal connections.

Back