If you could spend an hour with..

I'd rather hear from a grunt. There's plenty written about and by the famous figures to get an idea what their experiences were, I'd like to hear from someone who's voice isn't as well heard. That's what I prefer to read as well, diaries and letters from the guys on the ground doing the dirty work.
I’ve come to the right place.

I would like to talk to my great-great grandfather George R. and his four sons who went to war: my great grandfather Robert and his brothers George, William, and Thomas. Robert and his older brother served together in the western armies from Iuka and after being captured and paroled at Vicksburg, to Nashville. George had been a student at Ole Miss at the outbreak of the war and had a bright future ahead. He was mortally wounded at Nashville and died two months later. William and Thomas served in ANV - 12th Miss. from 1861 to the end. Thomas was captured at Ft. Gregg in the Petersburg breakthrough.

Their father had been a young western Pennsylvanian who migrated to Mississippi in the 1830s, rising from being a tailor to owning a relatively prosperous farm. He was a Yankee by birth who maintained his extended family ties but later sent his sons to fight for their independence from them. I think I could learn more from him and his sons about the mindset and motivations of the country and individuals in that time than all the pointy-heads out there combined who now pose as experts on the subject.

Last edited:
One of my relatives like most people. I got to thinking though, wouldn't it be disappointing to spend an hour with some famous figure that we read about and admire only to find out they are a complete jerk or dud personality wise?
I dont mind that so much. Finding out the true character of the man (or woman) might be quite illuminating.

@BillO Thanks for your comment. I've been reading about him all my life, and I am kinda old. If anything my feelings are more positive than ever. Certainly he ain't a saint but he ain't a buffoon either. It's strange, don't you think, how these guys who have been dead for 150 years, give or take, can stir up such emotion in our time.

John

Look
Looks like I'm going to need a case of those crackers too. :D
My gg grandfather Dr Cross, a Confederate Surgeon in AoT and his wife, my gggrandmother.
Sam Cross who was enslaved; grew up on the family farm in NC; inherited by my gg grandfather when he was 8 and my gg gfather was 10 yo; accompanied him to AL; went with him through the war; returned to AL with him after the war; and lived out the rest of his life in the house Dr Cross deeded to him.... "in grateful appreciation."
Surgeon Daniel Morse Holt, 121st NY
Medical Director Jonathan Letterman US
Surgeon Hunter Holmes McGuire who amputated Jackson's arm.
AoT Nurse Kate Cumming
Medical Director AoT Samuel Hollingsworth Stout developed the mobile military hospital - hospitals that moved from place to place.

After I got my fill of Civil War Medical info, I'd move on to the Generals connected with the 16th GA
William T Wofford - I'd sure like to know why, once he became a Brigadier, he never filed an after-action. Or if he did and they were lost, I'd ask if he had copies somewhere or if he'd please recite the gist of them while I wrote notes - lots of notes. :D
Lafayette McLaws & Jospeph B Kershaw
James Longstreet

And, yes, even Howell Cobb and Thomas RR Cobb. I'd ask them about those tree stump, pro-secession speeches they made :nah disagree: to convince Georgia to go along and how did they feel about it - after.
Looks like you are putting together a conference. LOL

Just got here. Grant would be on my list after my ancestors, and Jackson and Lee plus Mcclellan just for the fun of it.
I started the thread with lil' Mac as it happens. He was a smart, professional type of guy. His troops grew an inch when he was on form it would seem.
Is indecision a function of overthinking perhaps?

I’d want to spend an hour with Mary Todd Lincoln. If she wasn’t available, then I’d like to have time with my GGGrandmother. She could tell me all about the relative that fought and was a prisoner.

Back