If you could have chosen sides and what branch of the army......

Being born and raised in Georgia, I would have chose the south, also being a poor farming type family I came from, I would have never thought I was fighting over slavery but to defend my state, home and family. My family was in and around the mountains of Blueridge, Ga. We would not hear much news about anything outside our little community of farmers so the political side or affairs would have been very minute to say the least. The pride and loyalty to defend what we would have been told I'm sure were, those Yankees want to destroy our homes and families.
I would have if I could have chosen which branch of the service to have been in the cavalry. Heck of a lot better to ride than walk. I would have loved the fast pace movements, keeping the flanks protected and the ongoing raids which the cavalry participated in doing.

Being born and raised in Georgia, I would have chose the south, also being a poor farming type family I came from, I would have never thought I was fighting over slavery but to defend my state, home and family. My family was in and around the mountains of Blueridge, Ga. We would not hear much news about anything outside our little community of farmers so the political side or affairs would have been very minute to say the least. The pride and loyalty to defend what we would have been told I'm sure were, those Yankees want to destroy our homes and families.
I would have if I could have chosen which branch of the service to have been in the cavalry. Heck of a lot better to ride than walk. I would have loved the fast pace movements, keeping the flanks protected and the ongoing raids which the cavalry participated in doing.

You sure you wouldn't have come North? It's less humid and the country is very nice. :giggle:

Jokes aside, I would probably have chosen the Army and would have been thrilled to serve at Shiloh and Vicksburg with General Grant.

This is always a fun topic. Assuming I'd be the current me (because let's go with that), obviously I'd support the Union. That's never up for debate. However, what I'd be doing is something I can toss around in my head.

Stay home and help support the family in the absence of the men?

Leave home and work as a nurse or volunteer in some way?

I think both of those are strong possibilities, depending on the situation at home. Either way, I know I would be relieved to not have my home on or anywhere near the battlegrounds themselves.

Hey Patrick, you could be the guy in the hot air ballon doing some communication......like yikes! Get me down from here, every living soldier on the other side is shooting at me.
Reconnoissance actually.
Edit: I stand corrected. They fed telegraph wires up into ballons for communication.

Hello, Highplainsdrifter! I was in your lovely region of Blue Ridge, GA one week ago.

If I could have chosen a side in the War, I would have been for maintaining the Union of the United States of America, because my Grandpapa fought in the Revolution for the nation, and I grew up hearing honorable reasons for this nation being founded to promote freedom. Being female and having a natural bent toward the healing arts, I would have officially been a nurse, saving lives, performing duties of a doctor, given the fact there were so few.

If the opportunity arises, my next stop will be Montana. I love that state and the people there. I will have to get use to below zero temps and snow but I will gladly give away the humidity of the south in exchange.
Be careful what you wish for, I was in Helena, Montana doing some work when it was still snowing in June. It is some mighty pretty country though.

I would be in the United States Navy. Blue water, not muddy water.

Back