If the CSA had won would they have fought in the world wars?

The South did fight in WWI, WWII, Korea and was in the National Guard of Louisiana and Mississippi until 1968. They were known as the famous Dixie Division.
150px-31st_ID_SSI_svg.png

Let us just say this thread is, predictably close to the edge and edging close to my axe, and I do have the right to terminate it.Folks, be very, very careful where you tread.

Posted in Capacity as Moderator

WW2 being the most interesting because I could see a natural alliance between the CSA and Nazi Germany because of the racial viewpoints they both shared.

You have to remember that World War II was a result of the World War I outcome. If the U.S. or the Confederacy had fought on the side of Imperial Germany that could well have changed the outcome of that war and made the rise of someone like Hitler unlikely.

Whatever side the U.S. wasn't on would be my guess. Had the Confederacy won their rebellion I doubt that it would have been the last war between the two. There would have been a natural tendency to locate allies in Europe. One country would have been on Germany's side in WWI and the other would have been on the Allies.

Wow man that opens up an entire other can of worms I never thought of! If the animosity between the 2 countries was still too much to get over so they joined different sides? Now WW1 is being fought in North America in a second war between the CS and the US! WW1 in Europe is never affected because the US has enough on its plate trying to fend off the CS. It ends up jsut being a second civil war on the western front. a Maginot line between DC and Richmond! Yikes!

I'll agree that the Union and Canada have teamed up on the CSA in the northwest fighting for California and could care less what's happening" over there". Germany may well have won WWI, and the reason for Hitler's rise to fame be non-existant

:rofl: Uh......sometimes, with all due respect, the "What if" thing becomes so wildly improbably even I can't imagine the possibilities. Sorry. I guess I'm just not very imaginative today.

I'm with you on this Nate - sometimes I just can't get my head around some of them.

Wow man that opens up an entire other can of worms I never thought of! If the animosity between the 2 countries was still too much to get over so they joined different sides? Now WW1 is being fought in North America in a second war between the CS and the US! WW1 in Europe is never affected because the US has enough on its plate trying to fend off the CS. It ends up jsut being a second civil war on the western front. a Maginot line between DC and Richmond! Yikes!

Southron supporters tend to take the position that had the Confederacy won then the U.S. and the Confederate States would have lived in harmony, like the U.S. and Canada do. They forget that tensions between the U.S. and Canada ran pretty high for over 100 years following the revolution, and almost let to war on more than one occasion. Had the Confederacy won their independence on the field of battle then Canada and the U.S. would not be the example I would use for predicting future relations. East and West Germany would be a better, best-case scenario. Egypt and Israel would be a more likely result.

Depends upon whether the confederacy had been able to establish its slave empire in Mexico and/or Caribbean. If it did then the csa would have have had need for an expansive foreign policy(good foreign relations with potential friends and less good with potential enemies of that empire) with an expanded army and navy and infrastructure to support projection of southern policy(and power) beyond its borders.
If csa remained within its continental borders, the her foreign policies would be isolationists(better to protect its internal suppression of its slaves) with small coastal navy and small army designed to quell slave unrest and guard the borders with te nited States, i.e., no interest in involving itself in European wars with no prower or resources to sustain the effort to making the world safe for democracy.

It is an uneasy peace with North but yes trade has resumed, yes the institution still exists but technology has reduced its scope. The U.S. gets Hawaii and the rest of the pacific territories it had. The CSA gets some territory in the Caribbean and Central America.

I know this is all a long shot but I had always wondered how events in history would have been different had the ACW turned out differently. WW2 being the most interesting because I could see a natural alliance between the CSA and Nazi Germany because of the racial viewpoints they both shared.
The American Bund was in the North.

I am kidda freaking out here. I realize this is a "what if" but many of the posts here appear to assume that chattel black slavery would have survived in the South into the 20th century. That notion goes against the whole thrust of Western Civilization and the course it took. A slave holding South would have been an outcast, as they already were by the mid-19th century in the view of many nations even by that time. NO WAY slavery remains a viable economic institution as the 20th century unfolds....nor a morally defensible one. I think re-unification would have eventually happened.

I am kidda freaking out here. I realize this is a "what if" but many of the posts here appear to assume that chattel black slavery would have survived in the South into the 20th century. That notion goes against the whole thrust of Western Civilization and the course it took. A slave holding South would have been an outcast, as they already were by the mid-19th century in the view of many nations even by that time. NO WAY slavery remains a viable economic institution as the 20th century unfolds....nor a morally defensible one. I think re-unification would have eventually happened.

Can you think of a country that having won its independence then later voluntarily rejoined the former mother country? There probably have been some, but I can’t think of one off hand.

“We cannot hope to preserve our traditions, our beliefs, and our symbols -- we cannot hope to survive as a people, if we do not know, if we do not remember who we are and what defines us as a people.”

Professor Melvin E. Bradford

Can you think of a country that having won its independence then later voluntarily rejoined the former mother country? There probably have been some, but I can’t think of one off hand.

“We cannot hope to preserve our traditions, our beliefs, and our symbols -- we cannot hope to survive as a people, if we do not know, if we do not remember who we are and what defines us as a people.”

Professor Melvin E. Bradford

Very good point but once slavery was dead and gone I see re-unification as a real possiblity. America was and is unique. I believe that. The shared culture, economics, and the shared history of the country might, might, have served to have brought about re-unification. Others have postulated this as a very potential scenario....not just I. I mean like wow man, since I see slavery as the only real reason for the split,,, once it is dead and gone what's to stop us from getting back together? Would have been the smart move. Wise heads might have recognized that and realized there is strenght in numbers and it would be to the benefit of all to re-unite. Economics would be a big factor also. Anyone agree? I feel lonely!:cry:

The Texans might not have wanted back in but they a whole nuther breed.:D

I also would have been opposed to allowing San Francisco back in....too loopy. Heh

I mean like wow man, since I see slavery as the only real reason for the split,,, once it is dead and gone what's to stop us from getting back together?

That's like saying why didn't the U.S. rejoin Great Britain once that whole tax thing was settled? Two countries born out of a prolonged and bloody rebellion, with the losing side hating the winning side? Where is the incentive to rejoin after that?

That's like saying why didn't the U.S. rejoin Great Britain once that whole tax thing was settled? Two countries born out of a prolonged and bloody rebellion, with the losing side hating the winning side? Where is the incentive to rejoin after that?

Well a great big ocean separates us and most Americans dont drink a lotta tea nor do they say things like "Good show! Bloody good show!" How's that? Probably not entirely satisfactory but I tried. Help! I need help here. Someone....anyone.

I can scarcely believe that I agree with KeyserSoze on something. Now, if I can only get over the Sherman – the ambassador of good will thing, perhaps I will, in time, agree with some of his other devotees.

"It's been said that I should apply to the United States for a pardon, but repentance must precede the right of pardon, and I have not repented."
Jefferson Davis

I can scarcely believe that I agree with KeyserSoze on something. Now, if I can only get over the Sherman – the ambassador of good will thing, perhaps I will, in time, agree with some of his other devotees.

"It's been said that I should apply to the United States for a pardon, but repentance must precede the right of pardon, and I have not repented."
Jefferson Davis
I KNOW there are folks out there who feel that what I am saying would have been a distinct possibilty. Seems a long time ago this same topic came up and several felt re-unification just might possibly have occured eventually. Where are they? By the way the analogy between us and Great Britian dont hold water. Very different situations which I may address later. It was NOT just taxes. In part it was also the whole Enlightenment thingee which our Founding Fathers (and Mothers) were into big time. Yes indeed. Read Thomas Paine and that nut named Jefferson.

Jefferson Davis
I respect your view but ya dont fire first to protect an instituton that most by that time felt to be barbaric and whose time (morally) had run it's course. When you do that you tend to start wars and get people like Sherman. It happens.

Back