If dropped into the real Civil War army: What's the big thing we'd realize?

I could not have been easy at all. Especially during "shark week." Other than that, there were apparently enough skinny teenage boys around to where they may not have stuck out as much as one might think. I actually suppose that's what they were attempting to pass as, not men, but teenage boys, who also weren't supposed to be there but were because the recruiters weren't picky... also brings up the question of how many recruiters actually saw through the deception, but pushed it through anyway, just because they really weren't in the mood to care, or had a quota?
very true, but remember no one ever expected women to do this. It was also a social blindness.

I could not have been easy at all. Especially during "shark week." Other than that, there were apparently enough skinny teenage boys around to where they may not have stuck out as much as one might think. I actually suppose that's what they were attempting to pass as, not men, but teenage boys, who also weren't supposed to be there but were because the recruiters weren't picky... also brings up the question of how many recruiters actually saw through the deception, but pushed it through anyway, just because they really weren't in the mood to care, or had a quota?

Passing as a boy would also explain why the soldier never needed to shave :wink:

Talking about recruiters, in one of the many threads about black Confederates, it occurred to me that a recruiter or unit commander in need of bodies might be willing to bend the rules for black or mixed-race men, but I find it harder to imagine either army accepting someone they knew was a woman.

Passing as a boy would also explain why the soldier never needed to shave :wink:

Talking about recruiters, in one of the many threads about black Confederates, it occurred to me that a recruiter or unit commander in need of bodies might be willing to bend the rules for black or mixed-race men, but I find it harder to imagine either army accepting someone they knew was a woman.

Obviously the "ma'am, you are not fooling anyone and can not enlist in this army" were definitely NOT allowed. I'm talking "I'm fairly sure this is a woman... but not enough to call him out, lest I insult this good young gentleman" who may have been let through. I'm sure many recruiters also took lighter skinned African-Americans, mixed race, Hispanic, and Native American enlistees.... as long as you weren't "too brown" you were likely in.

Perhaps some of my Italian ancestors may have been turned away due to being "not white enough."

1. I'm being shot at.
2. And I don't like it.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

I think at first I would unfortunately look like a tourist gawking at what I've read about for so long. Then I hope I would realize I need to fight. Perhaps if I survive the first 5 minutes I would go looking for General Lee or Grant, depending on which side I've been dropped in. I think I could offer some valuable information.

Too many variables... Where and when would I be dropped. Never mind the grandfather Paradox. I would be careful not to say too much, lest I be viewed as a spy, or traitor, or insane. Would I go back equipped and clothed period style? Also, I would worry about changing history, which any star trek fan will tell you can have disastrous results.

As a 2 deployment retired 1SG (ARMY), the lack of information of the outside world and current affairs, we are spoiled with knowledge of the world outside of the immediate location. Imagine the lack of our current information at the fingertips!!!!! I would GO NUTS

SMELL, been there done that
CHOW, been there done that
morale of troops, been there done that

the overwhelming abundance of DEATH, and the lack of proper burial and recovery

AS for modern day soldiers, maybe 1% has seen a dead body from combat (I actually think 1% is high)
Civil War soldiers???? maybe 100% had seen a battlefield casualty, and just kept moving forward

Last edited:
Back