Identifying owner of Colt 1849 Pistol

Howard707

Private
Hi,
I have attached a photo of the brass strap on a Colt 1849 pistol. This pistol was recovered from a flooded basement as it is in poor condition. However, the engraving on the brass piece is still readable. Is there a website or any other manner in which I may be able to track down the owner of this pistol if used during the Civil War? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Howard

Colt 1849.JPG

From the serial # your 1849 pocket was produced in 1861 so it very well could have seen CW service. Being that its not a Colt Navy or Army which were issued to soldiers and bought by officers, all we can do is see if we can track down the name which looks like G. R. Snow if I'm reading it right.

The National Park Service is one spot to search. I looked but didn't scroll thru all the names. Didn't see any G.R.'s, lots of Snows. Some George Snows.

What's the rest of the gun look like?

Thank you for the information, RobertH. As far as the rest of the revolver, it is pretty rough. It appears to have been partially submerged in water for quite some time as the bluing is gone, and the outside of the barrel and cylinder are heavily pitted.

Thank you for the information, RobertH. As far as the rest of the revolver, it is pretty rough. It appears to have been partially submerged in water for quite some time as the bluing is gone, and the outside of the barrel and cylinder are heavily pitted.

Care to post some overall pics of it?

I started a supporting thread, so we can run this G R Snow to ground.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/who-was-g-r-snow.184888/

The fold3 record is a page of the 1860 Census showing G. R. Snow, aged 56, living in Sharon Township, Town of Worthington, Franklin County, Ohio. He was a physician.

Major ErnieMac,
Thank you for the information on the 1860 Census.

Sergeant Major Story,
Photos will be taken and posted.

I have all the parts and was able to get almost everything apart to clean it as much as I can. Will at least be presentable when done.

Sergeant Major,
I didn't answer your specific question as I am not sure what you are referring to regarding the bolts surviving.

Sergeant Major,
To answer your question, yes I have the bolt and other small parts, including the screws for the revolver.

Back