Identify Union Civil War Soldier in Photo

Bigblue232

Cadet
A Civil War Union Soldier photograph is in my possession. I am trying to identify the soldier and contact surviving family who might be interested in having the photo as keepsake. I have photographed the photograph and some photos are attached hereto. In addition, high resolution photos are available. Experts have told me the soldier is a Union Soldier, Infantry and lacking rank insignia, is probably a Private. The resolution on the photograph is not great - i.e. I was unable to positively identify the belt buckle, although in my Hi-res photo, the buckle appears to be a standard Infantry issue. The photograph is a tintype mounted in a leather bound, padded frame. Any information would be helpful. Bigblue232

001CivilWarSoldier.jpg

003Exterior.jpg

048FullFace.jpg

I admire your goal of returning this to the family. However, the vast majority of period photos one encounters cannot be identified. My cousins and I have tried for some years to identify similar photos found among our family's belongings, with only limited success.

I'm guessing there's nothing inscribed on the back of the plate. As WJC said the majority of photos can't be ID'd, especially with nothing period written in the casing or on the plate. That's an impressive photo you have none the less, wonderful detail on the face.

It will be tough. But- hang on, we have uniform experts who might at least give you a lead? I know nothing about uniforms, to me it's so confusing there's no hope but the experts can frequently nail this stuff down by one badge, hat or heck, button. @major bill , is this soldier wearing anything that could be helpful?

Maybe don't quite give up- with one lead sometimes it's possible to keep the search alive. Once matched one ( after months and months ) to an Ancestry photo of the man as a civilian. Only once!

Where was photo obtained? Reason I ask is, odds would dictate it was found close to where family of the soldier lived. Not an exact clue, by any measure, but most people live within 20 miles of where there grand parents lived, etc..
ie.. found in an antique shop in Ohio, odds are favorable this is a soldier from an Ohio unit.

Back