Edged Wpns Identify 1853 Enfield Bayonet markings

1853Enfield

Cadet
I have an 1853 Enfield Bayonet I found in South Carolina. The " E " over crown with "30" underneath , also a "63" and "212" last 2 not visible . The rounded part of the bayonet is also different than the somewhat pointed ones I have seen . As you can tell I am not an expert. Is this a Civil War Era bayonet , or different era. What do the numbers stand for if anyone knows. Thankyou
DSCN0355.JPG
DSCN0352.JPG

It is an ACW era bayonet but likely not used in the CS or US as very few Enfields actually made at Enfield made it over here. The various stamped numbers match it to a particular arm which was a practice of the regulars of the Brit army. The P53 was a first rate arm for the Brits and those made at Enfield were generally reserved for their own military service.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. I see you got some answers. One thing I will add is that if you have an Enfield musket, finding a bayonet that fits it is very difficult.

Could the bayonet have been in the British 63rd (West Suffolk) Regiment of Foot, the person I received it from said it was from Canada , and the Regiment went to Nova Scotia briefly after the Crimean war . I guess we will never know . I also have an interesting 1853 Enfield which I will be posting here with many pictures shortly, perhaps some of the experts on this forum can assist me on that .

Could the bayonet have been in the British 63rd (West Suffolk) Regiment of Foot, the person I received it from said it was from Canada , and the Regiment went to Nova Scotia briefly after the Crimean war . I guess we will never know . I also have an interesting 1853 Enfield which I will be posting here with many pictures shortly, perhaps some of the experts on this forum can assist me on that .

I'd suggest that the bayonet is a Confederate import, and that 63 refers to the year of contract. The other number on the socket will be the weapon number, the same number being on both the musket and bayonet.

More likely than it having been in the ACW.

The stamped numbers on the socket are rack numbers and pairing numbers to a particular P53 which it fit. Confederate mating numbers were hand engraved on the socket of P53 bayonets. With the Enfield inspection mark on the blade, without any English condemned marks, I also doubt if it was an ACW used bayonet.

It is an ACW era bayonet but likely not used in the CS or US as very few Enfields actually made at Enfield made it over here. The various stamped numbers match it to a particular arm which was a practice of the regulars of the Brit army. The P53 was a first rate arm for the Brits and those made at Enfield were generally reserved for their own military service.
The person I acquired it from stated it came from Canada that is all I know . I am on this site to hear from all of you knowledgeable experts and you are not letting me down . Did the Brit Army mark the Regiment on the Bayonet also ? The 63 being the unit I mentioned and the 212 being the matching number for Bayo and Musket just a theory ?

Last edited:
The person I acquired it from stated it came from Canada that is all I know . I am on this site to hear from all of you knowledgeable experts and you are not letting me down . Did the Brit Army mark the Regiment on the Bayonet also ? The 63 being the unit I mentioned and the 212 being the matching number for Bayo and Musket just a theory ?
I believe so. The Brits were quite bureaucratic in their paperwork and operation. I’m uncertain if that particular Regiment did but believe is was standard practice for their Regulars.

Let me suggest that you post that question on British Militaria Forums,
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/

It's just like this site except that it is all about the British side of things. They will have an answer for you.

Here is my bayonet, which I bought up here in Canad-istan (paid $30 yankee greenbacks). It has an E/Crown/unidentifiable number. When I bought it I figured it was British military but heck it fits my Civil War Enfield pretty darn good, and I couldn't pass at that price.

My question is...does the E/Crown/any# mean its from the Enfield factory or only E/Crown/30?

I don't see any Broad Arrow or WD markings, but my bayonet is more pitted.

2nd photo shows "rack numbers" in a similar manner to those in the photos at the top of the thread, but they are ahead of the locking ring, not behind. The number appears to be 14/128.
20210201_215325.jpg
20210201_215410.jpg

Back