ID this flag (Confederate?) -> All clues included

David Wilson

Private
These photos
1. were taken between the summer of 1917 to perhaps as late as spring 1919.
2. may have been taken in or near Baltimore
3. Man on the left is an ancestors who was part of the 29th Infantry Division and served in France during WWI. The 29th was founded as the first military unit that directly enlisted from States that found on opposing side of the Civil War and that is why their emblem is a gray and blue ying yang symbol.
4. I am assuming that the flag is own by the elderly women, but I do not know who she is, nor do I know the other man.
5. I am assuming that it is a Confederate flag but I don't know for sure.

HarryFlag.JPG

HarryFlag2.JPG

Could be an early Secession flag. Some of the earliest flags bore a strong resemblance to the National flag. Saw this youtube…
Look at the 3 minute mark.
That is exactly what I thought. I suspected that it might even be tied to a regiment. Unfortunately, I was completely wrong, yet when you look at many Confederate flags, you can see why I thought it could be.

Wonder if it's as old as the Revolution- looks like it, doesn't it?

One of those photos that give you chills. Those men are going to yet another war standing in front of the flag that started it all, guessing from that family's history. Whoa. Love to know if it's still in the family. Talk about a family treasure.

Wonder if it's as old as the Revolution- looks like it, doesn't it?

One of those photos that give you chills. Those men are going to yet another war standing in front of the flag that started it all, guessing from that family's history. Whoa. Love to know if it's still in the family. Talk about a family treasure.
It could be the War of 1812. My next step is to loo for Maryland history buffs and the like.

The guy on left was my grandmother's Uncle. He died a few years after the war from respiratory injuries related to gas warfare.

The 29th was founded as the first military unit that directly enlisted from States that found on opposing side of the Civil War and that is why their emblem is a gray and blue ying yang symbol.

That tradition with the 29th Infantry continued in WWII. My Dad's older brother served in Europe with the 29th. Twice wounded, last time during The Battle of the Bulge.

That tradition with the 29th Infantry continued in WWII. My Dad's older brother served in Europe with the 29th. Twice wounded, last time during The Battle of the Bulge.
Yes I think they also were at D-Day. In the case of my grandmothers uncle, it appears to have been part of less told story of how he died a few years after returning from Europe because of the slow lung scarring wounds of gas attacks.

Back