[ID Help Please] Think this might be what’s left of a m1840 sabre?

William Wit

Private
Photos: https://imgur.com/a/ES2lmO2

Hey everyone - thanks in advance for your assistance. Trying to figure out as much as I can here. This sword was dug decades ago from a battlefield in Virginia, and obviously saw some trauma. Obviously with the grip and rest of the blade missing, it’s tougher. The blade measures 1.25” at the guard, and comparing images, it looks like an m1840. Also, given the loop shapes on the guard, it seems to match the m1840.

There are two inscriptions visible - both on the top of the cross-guard. One says “84” and I think the other one says “L” or maybe “b”. Hard to tell. I feel like I *might * see letters on the bottom front of the blade - maybe ________ARG. Some writing then ARG that ends it. Really, really tough to tell and I wonder if I’m just seeing things.

Thanks very much for any help!

I believe it is indeed the remnants of an 1840 wrist breaker but with out further markings its hard to tell a marker.

I believe it is indeed the remnants of an 1840 wrist breaker but with out further markings its hard to tell a marker.

Yeah, I’ve gone over this thing left and right and all I see is that “84” and the “L” or “b”. I love stuff like this though - broken swords with character. Looks great in my cabinet! Pristine, out-of-the-factory stuff doesn’t interest me at all.

It isn't a M.1860 because the blade has a flat back. The M.1840 is only a direct copy of the French M.1822 which was also copied by many Solingen smiths for export to the U.S. and European countries as well. Because of this fact, it could as easily be of European manufacture as American. The surest way to tell would be the presence of markings, which I think in this case will be impossible.

It isn't a M.1860 because the blade has a flat back. The M.1840 is only a direct copy of the French M.1822 which was also copied by many Solingen smiths for export to the U.S. and European countries as well. Because of this fact, it could as easily be of European manufacture as American. The surest way to tell would be the presence of markings, which I think in this case will be impossible.

Agreed - I didn’t pay much for it so as a battlefield pickup, I’m happy with it - has a ton of character.

Back