What is this? ID help on this circular lump of iron

Ferd454231

Private
Got an e mail today from a friend. He said he had been asked by some friend of his if he could shed light on the item picture below. He use to throw 5" shells from his destroyer at the NVA but has no clue about this item. Frankly I do not know enough to help out myself; but I do know the crew to turn to.
It was discovered in an old privy as a part of a house (1864 vintage) that was being remodeled. It is 15# 9.2 oz. Its circumference around the middle is 16.125" and measuring from hole to hole 16.1875" so that the diameter is about 5.133 to 5.1523. There are two opposed hole of about 1" on the cast seam line. It is not hollow. There was black powder in it when retrieved and the powder was still viable. Relicman and some folks at Perryville State park looked at it and have not reached a conclusion.
photo one is as found w/ a tennis ball for comparison. Aside from curiosity I do not have a dog in this fight. Any help appreciated, as always. H

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed.gif

unnamed.jpg

Interesting round ball and if Harry doesn't know then its a mystery round.

I don’t know of any Civil War cannonballs that have a hole drilled completely through it like that. It does not appear to have a powder cavity. Very odd. Thanks for sharing though.

Have you done a magnet test to confirm it is iron?

Also, do the holes connect at all? When looking at the last picture, it looks like there's a black abyss at the bottom of the hole as if it goes further into the object

Last edited:
Thanks Gandycreek. I'll see about posting tomorrow. Grant Union I have never seen, much less felt, the object. I'm just relaying information that a friend sent me. I do know the hole goes wholly through it. Edited. thats the trifecta. Anyway thanks for the inquiry. H

And Pete George (Cannon Ball Guy) chimed in on it in that forum. As far as I’m concerned there is no higher authority.
You are spot on with that, since Tom died he is the man.

And Pete George (Cannon Ball Guy) chimed in on it in that forum. As far as I’m concerned there is no higher authority.

Exactly. I knew this post looked familiar. He knew everything about everything. This is not a cannon ball.

"This time, there's no need to do weighing & measuring. I can testify with 100%-certainty that this ball is definitely not a cannonball. Absolutely no cannonballs had a tunnel going all the way through the iron body, which this ball clearly has."
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/364204-mystery-cannonball.html

Fyi.. I would recommend anyone and everyone to read the book called 'field artillery projectiles of the American civil war' by tom dickey and Pete george
552 pages of amazingness
...that is if you can find one! Great gift idea!!
The 1993 edition is the one most desired. Have mine on the bookshelf!

Fyi.. I would recommend anyone and everyone to read the book called 'field artillery projectiles of the American civil war' by tom dickey and Pete george
552 pages of amazingness
...that is if you can find one! Great gift idea!!
And if you wish to see what the insides of the balls/shells look like, there's Jack Melton's The Half Shell Book somewhat pricey, but worth the money.

I had Mr George sign mine last year at the Richmond relic show. He also inerted my 12lb case shot
That’s awesome! I mailed him a couple shells to clean for me and I also sent my copy of his book for him to sign also. He did so, but also made many edits throughout the book regarding new information that has come to light. So although it is a 1993 edition, it also contains his 2016 additional edits. So I like to say I have a rare 2016 edition!!! Kinda cool I think.

That’s awesome! I mailed him a couple shells to clean for me and I also sent my copy of his book for him to sign also. He did so, but also made many edits throughout the book regarding new information that has come to light. So although it is a 1993 edition, it also contains his 2016 additional edits. So I like to say I have a rare 2016 edition!!! Kinda cool I think.

Keep that book in a cool, dry place away from light and sticky kid fingers. That's going to be worth a LOT to collectors some day!

Thanks. You are probably right, but I imagine if any collector gets mine, it will be gotten through my estate, after I’m put in the dirt!! :bounce:

Back