I was given a Pistol with a Soldiers name. I'm trying to find more info

It does show that but the biggest problem I had with this is if you look at the letter from Colt it says 44c and the serial # and the info I sent up is from a 1851 36 cal Navy.
Oops, I didn't catch that part. Well, that's embarrassing :unsure:

Tracking these down has always be one of my favorite things as it like relic hynting, the trill of the hunt and what you are hoping to find. On this being an officers piece and from the pieces I have owned normaly you would see Lt or Capt Wh H Hood.
Not necessarily - a most annoying M.1850 foot officer's sword I once owned was inscribed only "Presented to M. C. Clark From His Brother, C. B. Clark". I was never satisfied exactly who those two were!

I agree that the holster is not CW time period and looks like a modified holster possibly for a Colt 1911.

It may also be that the engraver slipped when he was making the right side of the "o" that makes it look like a "d." I don't see a "leg" on the bottom like a "d" would have. Try your hand at engraving and you'll see how easy it is to slip when you tap the engraving tool and there is no erasing a mistake when you are engraving metal. To me, it's meant to signify Company A. Cdmpy makes no sense.

...The problem I'm running into is figuring out what CDMPy or CAMPy is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's " Comp " ended with " y " in high shift position. finished with a period "."

That was not an uncommon way to abbreviate a word, "Compy." for "Company" when that whole word would have taken up too much space or effort to mark. You see exactly that sort of abbreviation on haversacks, camp boxes etc.

What's fooling us is the deep dent on the "O" that's placed such that it looks like the riser on a "d," but once realized we ignore the dent and see the "o" (not a "d").

Last edited:
Gonna use Occam's Razor on this one!

COMPy (Company) really seems to be the only reasonable explanation and simplest. 10 to 1 it was taken to a civilian for engraving, who really had no idea of military abreviations. So now onto the next great mystery. What is A.W.G.?

It would help if we knew in which units the six "Wm. H. Hoods" you mentioned served. That might give some leads and help narrow things down.

Gonna use Occam's Razor on this one!

COMPy (Company) really seems to be the only reasonable explanation and simplest. 10 to 1 it was taken to a civilian for engraving, who really had no idea of military abreviations. So now onto the next great mystery. What is A.W.G.?
That is indeed the true mystery, I think the A is the company letter and the W.G. is the unit designation i.e. Washington Greys or some other unit with the W.G. monogram. Any luck with the California unit? It looks like there are several William H. Hoods that served during the war but you can narrow that down to the ones that served in A Co. Once you have narrowed it to those few you can do research on the unit they served in and maybe, just maybe, your research will pay off. My money is on the fellow from the 17th PA (Washington Greys?). I posted the link to earlier in the thread. I would also highly recommend reaching out to Colt to see if they have anything on the serial number. It could potentially increase the guns value, both historically and monetarily.

Thanks for posting this and welcome from Tennessee. I am in agreement with the conclusion drawn so far, but something whispers a post dated gift and [G. A. R.] abbreviation. In other words, at the end of service and a group company of retired veterans; possibly?
Lubliner.

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Good luck with your search.
Regards
David

Back