I was given a Pistol with a Soldiers name. I'm trying to find more info

Hi guys! I am new to the sight, and I am not sure where to start with this or if im in the right spot. I was gifted an 1862 Colt Police pistol, it was built in 1861 and is below #500. On the metal piece between the handguards has an engraving. it reads

Wm. H. Hood
CAMPy A. W. G.
or
CDMPy A. W. G

the name is one thing, checking records ive found a 2 union. 1 from Rhode island, the other from Maryland. and 4 Confederate, all 4 from South Carolina.

The problem I'm running into is figuring out what CDMPy or CAMPy is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive been at this all day and have been having a blast doing it, but have just hit a wall. I have uploaded a picture of it, so hopefully someone will understand it better than i can.

Thanks!

IMG_0186(1).jpg

I would suggest it's "COMPy" [Company] A. W.G. [W..?.. Guards], designating some Militia company beginning with a 'W'.

Some years ago I posted on CWT a link to a 19th century book that listed all the company/battalion/regimental names or nicknames used by the Union army or state militias. That source would quickly identify all "W.G." units, at least on the Federal side. I have not been able to locate that post, or the book it links to. Perhaps someone remembers it?

Last edited:
Hi guys! I am new to the sight, and I am not sure where to start with this or if im in the right spot. I was gifted an 1862 Colt Police pistol, it was built in 1861 and is below #500. On the metal piece between the handguards has an engraving. it reads

Wm. H. Hood
CAMPy A. W. G.
or
CDMPy A. W. G

the name is one thing, checking records ive found a 2 union. 1 from Rhode island, the other from Maryland. and 4 Confederate, all 4 from South Carolina.

The problem I'm running into is figuring out what CDMPy or CAMPy is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive been at this all day and have been having a blast doing it, but have just hit a wall. I have uploaded a picture of it, so hopefully someone will understand it better than i can.

Thanks!

View attachment 284816
Welcome from central Ohio! That is a very nice acquisition. I would agree that is "Company" A. I have no idea what the W.G. stands for. My original hunch was the Washington Greys but I don't think that is the case. Paging @ucvrelics and @Package4

Definite
Haha Wow, I didnt even see it that way, and I do believe you are right! I was staring at this this all day and it never occurred to me. Thank you for your fast response!
Welcome! Definitely "Compy A"- Company A. I'd be interested in seeing more photos of the piece.

Welcome From The Heart of Dixie. Here is my opinion. Cdmp't commandant AWG, IMHO the A is a name intial and not a company A as it is set to far away. The abbreviation for Company is Co. A. Its hard to see from the photo but I believe its a d and not an o. I clearer closer photo would tell.
colt 1841.jpg

Yes they do have them, but a lot of the early ones were destroyed in fire of 1864. All you can do is send the $250 and see what they got??

Ok Hold the Phone! I think i just found a good lead. ill have to check there records and see if this man existed in the unit.

I received this item from family in California.

there was a unit from Sonoma California

Washington Guard, Company A, 1st Infantry Battalion, 2nd Brigade. Santa Rosa, 1862–1866
Keep us updated on your findings. We would all really enjoy seeing additional photos when you have time.

Yes they do have them, but a lot of the early ones were destroyed in fire of 1864. All you can do is send the $250 and see what they got??
I knew some records were destroyed but I couldn't remember if it was Colt's or Remington's. That's a big gamble but it could be worth it.

thank you for the reply. Im going to look into that more. I also know that California sent multiple units that fought as Penn units. The only reason why I keep responding about California, is because thats the location of this Item for atleast 75 traceable years. I know, it doesnt really mean anything because this stuff just traveled everywhere. But its giving me a starting location.

Back