I used to work for Goodwill in the past and the books donated...

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Mr King

Sergeant
I used to work for Goodwill in the past as a production associate and worked with receiving all the donations and everything else that was required. Man! I couldn't believe how many Civil War/War Between the States books that were donated! But here's a rule working for Goodwill; I cannot shop at the store where I work but can shop at other Goodwill stores which makes sense because we the workers would seize and buy the best stuff for ourselves and it wouldn't be fair to the customers. I've received donations of books on this war period that were worth a lot of money, like for an example; Manse Jolly which I knew was out of print and hard to find and expensive but to sell it at the store, it would only be $2.00 for a hardcover book while softcover books were just $1.00. There was another out of print book on Cadets in Gray and to sell it at the store would only be 2 bucks. There was once a 3 volume bookset on the CW/WBTS by Shelby Foote donated. And I couldn't shop there!!! Ahh!!! haha, So my advice is GO to Goodwill if you can for you never know what books you may find especially those that are hard to find, out of print and worth good money.

Last edited:

John Winn

Captain
Many Goodwill's sell their ACW books cheap on amazon. Grabbed many that way
I've obtained several very good ones that way from Goodwill. I always look on Amazon to see if I can get a book used (well, with two exceptions where I bought new publications directly from the authors). I'd bet 90+% of my collection was bought used.

Rogue

Corporal
I love to look through a Goodwill book section. You never know what you may find. Sometimes its like finding the needle in the haystack, searching through all the books to find the hidden gem. I have found many Civil War and other history books this way. They are always priced to sell for sure.

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Thanks for the tip, Mr. King!
Many libraries have annual or semi annual booksales. Its a good cause, supporting the library, and sometimes some interesting finds. Best selection was when I went to one in Williamstown, MA. Good pickings in a college town library sale.

Mr King

Sergeant
Thanks for the tip, Mr. King!
Many libraries have annual or semi annual booksales. Its a good cause, supporting the library, and sometimes some interesting finds. Best selection was when I went to one in Williamstown, MA. Good pickings in a college town library sale.
You're welcome sir!

One of my local libraries operates a used book store in its basement to raise funds. All of the books are donated.

I found a signed copy of "Pittsburgh: The Story of an American City" by Stefan Lorant for five dollars at this place. The book is several decades old, but it includes images of a lot of newspaper clippings and old photographs that don't appear to be available online. The book even includes Civil War-related photos of Pittsburgh, and a photo of President Rutherford Hayes' visit to Pittsburgh.