I think he was as glad to see me as I was to see him…..

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
For a mount I had been given a superannuated old beast that had belonged to a soldier who had recently died (a natural death) named Lanterwasser. The boys nicknamed him (the horse) "Lots of Water," which I shortly learned to be most appropriate. If that horse could get lots of water he could get along swimmingly without other forage. However, I must not disparage that dear old horse, for he taught me more than any drill master ever did, and without swearing at me. He knew the difference between the bugle calls of "right about" and "left about," and that's saying a good deal for the intelligence of a dumb brute, and more than can be said for some veteran soldiers…….

From the 9th to the 20th of December I was sick in the regimental hospital, and then was sent to Fayetteville to the general hospital, where, after good care for a week, I was able to sit up for a few hours. My nurse, a Sister of Charity, brought me some chicken broth for a Christmas dinner, and raised me up to see a magnolia tree in full bloom just outside of the widow. This was the first tree of the kind I had ever seen. The next day a detail from our regiment came over with ambulances and orders for all who were able to ride a horse to turn out. Corporal Moore (son of the man who died at Bower's Mills) commanded the detail from our company and had brought my horse!

That settled it for me. The sight of Lanterwasser made me strong. He had been given the best of care during my absence, and was fat and saucy. The hospital attendants protested loudly at our going, but we turned out a squad of a dozen or more notwithstanding. To show my complete recovery I insisted on riding my horse, while the orders were for us to ride in the ambulances. In the act of mounting I went up on one side and became dizzy and came down on the other.

Then I got in the ambulance, but insisted on leading Lanterwasser, and for that purpose, I sat in the back end, where he could put his head in to be caressed. I think he was as glad to see me as I was to see him…..

Campaigning in the Army of the Frontier
By Albert Robinson Greene, Company A, Ninth Kansas Cavalry.

Great story. Thanks for posting.
19388476 - Edited.jpg

Back