I picked up these cavalry figures last week.

Nice pics, while you were there, did you get visit the 9th Michigan battery's monument?? It's across the little paved road by the PA state monument. Next time I visit I wanna get up in the top of and look over the field of view of the terrain.

Nice pics, while you were there, did you get visit the 9th Michigan battery's monument?? It's across the little paved road by the PA state monument. Next time I visit I wanna get up in the top of and look over the field of view of the terrain.
No I did not visit it.

Hearing you talk about “toy” soldiers is a bit like listening to ladies and men for that matter talk about going to a really good fabric sale! I’m not showing you my sewing closet..it’s a hot mess! And I just bought more fabric at the Thrift Store!

@Mrs. V I believe there are some really passionate toy soldier collectors out there. If I'm not mistaken Winston Churchill was one. Anne S. K. Brown collected military items from all over the world and had a large toy soldier collection that is still on display I think. Pretty unusual for a woman, more so in her time I would imagine. Peter Cushing the British actor, was also a collector. I believe there are one or two big toy collector shows each year in the U.S. Major Bill has more company than people might imagine.

I’ve been collecting toy/metal soldiers for many years. Being in the UK it’s not much use me recommending stockists but i have purchased some from the toy soldier shop in Gettysburg. Most of mine are either Britains or King and Country, I also have some Western themed figures from Black Hawk. Black Hawk is a US based company. They all have websites with links to stockists. It’s become a much more expensive hobby over recent years with King and Country mountEd figures retailing at around £120.00 over here.
2D6C544E-881E-41AD-99B8-6E0B49377BA8.jpeg

4113265D-0C72-4EE9-A241-3936F7D410EF.jpeg

I’ve been collecting toy/metal soldiers for many years. Being in the UK it’s not much use me recommending stockists but i have purchased some from the toy soldier shop in Gettysburg. Most of mine are either Britains or King and Country, I also have some Western themed figures from Black Hawk. Black Hawk is a US based company. They all have websites with links to stockists. It’s become a much more expensive hobby over recent years with King and Country mountEd figures retailing at around £120.00 over here.
View attachment 403969
View attachment 403976
Great collection !

Hearing you talk about “toy” soldiers is a bit like listening to ladies and men for that matter talk about going to a really good fabric sale! I’m not showing you my sewing closet..it’s a hot mess! And I just bought more fabric at the Thrift Store!
My girlfriend is a quilter and she also was a weaver and spinner many years ago . She belongs to Project Linus and they often receive donations from estates . Many of these donations consist of enough fabric to last several lifetimes . I myself will finish painting all the miniatures I have collected if I live to the age of 112 .

View attachment 403969
View attachment 403976
Very nice collection. I was at a second hand store last week and they lamp made from an Indian Wars Cavalry man. The figure was in a fairly nice scene. It is an interesting item and not costly, but is a bit on the large size. My problem is what would I do with this lamp? I am not sure my wife would let me replace one of our lamps on the end tables in the livingroom. For some unknown reason livingroom lamps "have" to match. I suspect I will not really have room for a lamp this size in my library at my new condo. What about a Indian Wars lamp on my dresser in the bedroom? Not sure a Indian Wars lamp fits in with our new bedroom set. In my opinion a lamp with a man wearing a blue uniform fits in niccely with walnut dressers and night stands. Opinions might differ.

I have seen large Civil War figures turned in to lamps for sale at antique shops. Both time I saw these I was on vacation and would have had difficulties getting them home in one piece. Not sure my wife thought they fit in with our decor but she is not a professional interior designer.

@IDIC For many many years it has been my impression that the U.K. was "Toy Soldier" paradise. Even as a kid in the 50's I wanted to go there to see the beautiful figures that were available there. Getting a box of Britain's for a birthday or Christmas was always a thrill for me and I still have some of them.

I still have the impression it's the mecca of miniature warming to this day.

John

It certainly is a big hobby in the UK. Britain were originally manufacturers of high gloss finished models of ceremonial British soldiers at events like Trooping of the Colour. They still make these early type of figures but have followed other producers of the more “life like” matt finished products. There have recently been changes at Britains, which ironically are now an American company. There has been a big improvement in the quality of the painting of their figures.

It certainly is a big hobby in the UK. Britain were originally manufacturers of high gloss finished models of ceremonial British soldiers at events like Trooping of the Colour.
Not my favorite way to finish a lead figure. There is a local antique mall which has a booth that sales Britains and King & Country. He did have more Del Prado figures but I think they went out of business. He has a surprising collection of "antique" Britains. This weekend he will set up 6 tables of figures for sale. I've only bought a couple of Britains Civil War figures from him as I buy most of my at National Parks.

Back