1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

I picked this flask up and don't know much about it.

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by jim young, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jim young

jim young Private

From what I can find its a replica of a Colt Walker flask. It said made in Taiwan on the ball cover. I took it off and sanded it off and polished it up. Came with a NOS navy arms Italian pix826941805.jpg made powder measure. I paid 30 bucks delivered so not out much. Seems to work well.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. DixieRifles

DixieRifles 1st Lieutenant

I think Navy Arms made these flasks but I'm not sure. My brother had a Navy Arms 1861 Colt Navy and a flask. He left the pistol in my care when he went off to Viet Nam. That began my adventure in Black Powder shooting. I had a flask like this for many years but it had a fake bronze finish. The spring broke and I couldn't figure out who or how to repair it. So I bought two replacements.
    One of them is a small flask for my .36 caliber rifle and the other is larger for larger caliber. They are loaded with different size powder grain.
    I use the flask when I fire my pistols. I also use it when firing my .50 Caliber Hawken rifle in the field, except I use a measurer to be precise. Sometimes I use a powder horn in the field. Other times, I carry the flask in my possibility bag. Your flask has metal loops to hang it on a strap, but I've never done that.

An old photo of a friend shooting my Ruger Old Army 44---a modern production gun and not intended as a replica.

Ruger44.jpg

4. jim young

jim young Private

I just tore my flask apart. Two small set screws on the body of the measure and the threaded cap rod and it all comes out. I cleaned it and used silicone spray to lube it. Its a dry lube. Spring comes out easy. I used purple loctite for the set screws. They are small and don't want to lose them.

5. DixieRifles

I don't think mine had set screws. I couldn't find a replacement spring.
    I gave it to a buddy who wanted to use it as a display with his Hawken rifle.

6. DixieRifles

PS
    Jim Young,
    The nozzle can be removed. You can purchase a replacement that "throws" the right amount of powder for the charge you need. I have 3 or 4 spare nozzles for different charges.

7. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

The flask that Jim Young has shown is the type that has an internal mechanism designed to be internally adjustable for different volume pistol charges. It is also designed to be used hanging upside down and as such will dispense one charge at a time. That is the reason there are only 2 strap loops on the bottom, and none on top.
    J.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)