I never felt so much the loss of any earthly blessing

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
Shiloh%20-%20battlefield%20view%201-L.jpg

A brave and godly captain in a Western regiment related the following as we were taking him to the hospital. He was shot through both thighs with a rifle bullet - a wound from which he could not recover. While lying on the field he suffered intense agony from thirst. He supported his head upon his hand, and the rain from heaven was falling around him. In a little while a little pool of water formed under his elbow, and he thought if he could only get to that puddle he might quench his thirst. He tried to get into a position to suck up a mouthful of muddy water, but he was unable to reach within a foot of it. Said he, " I never felt so much the loss of any earthly blessing.

"By and by night fell, and the stars shone out clear and beautiful above the dark field, and I began to think of that great God, who had given His Son to die a death of agony for me, and that He was up there - up above the scenes of suffering, and above those glorious stars; and I felt that I was going home to meet Him, and praise Him there; and I felt that I ought to praise God, even wounded, and on the battle field. I could not help singing that beautiful hymn

‘When I can read my title clear
To mansions in the skies,
I'll bid farewell to every fear
And dry my weeping eyes.'

"And," said he, "there was a Christian brother in the brush near me. I could not see him, but I could hear him. He took up the strain; and beyond him another and another caught it up all over the terrible battle field of Shiloh. That night the echo was resounding, and we made the field of battle ring with hymns of praise to God!"

Numerous sources including 1862 newspapers

Attachments

• Shiloh%20-%20battlefield%20view%201-L.jpg
    Shiloh%20-%20battlefield%20view%201-L.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 83
During WWI did the French and German troops form an ad hoc truce and sing Christmas carols?

Yes. A movie was made about it a few years ago, but I don't recall the name of it.

EDIT: Here it is. Don't you just love Google? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_Noël

Back