1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

I never felt so much the loss of any earthly blessing

Discussion in 'Soldier's Tales' started by SWMODave, Nov 6, 2018.

1. SWMODave

SWMODave First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

[​IMG]
    A brave and godly captain in a Western regiment related the following as we were taking him to the hospital. He was shot through both thighs with a rifle bullet - a wound from which he could not recover. While lying on the field he suffered intense agony from thirst. He supported his head upon his hand, and the rain from heaven was falling around him. In a little while a little pool of water formed under his elbow, and he thought if he could only get to that puddle he might quench his thirst. He tried to get into a position to suck up a mouthful of muddy water, but he was unable to reach within a foot of it. Said he, " I never felt so much the loss of any earthly blessing.

"By and by night fell, and the stars shone out clear and beautiful above the dark field, and I began to think of that great God, who had given His Son to die a death of agony for me, and that He was up there - up above the scenes of suffering, and above those glorious stars; and I felt that I was going home to meet Him, and praise Him there; and I felt that I ought to praise God, even wounded, and on the battle field. I could not help singing that beautiful hymn

‘When I can read my title clear
    To mansions in the skies,
    I'll bid farewell to every fear
    And dry my weeping eyes.'

"And," said he, "there was a Christian brother in the brush near me. I could not see him, but I could hear him. He took up the strain; and beyond him another and another caught it up all over the terrible battle field of Shiloh. That night the echo was resounding, and we made the field of battle ring with hymns of praise to God!"

Numerous sources including 1862 newspapers

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

Nice tale of the doomed men helping to pave their way to meet God

4. Patrick H

Patrick H Major

I am fairly well without words to respond to this, except to utter a quiet "Wow." This is one of the more powerful posts I have ever seen on these pages.

5. connecticut yankee

connecticut yankee Sergeant

Amen.

NH Civil War Gal likes this.
  6. Equestriangirl93

Equestriangirl93 Sergeant

Thank you for sharing....

7. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Major

During WWI did the French and German troops form an ad hoc truce and sing Christmas carols?

8. Northern Light

Northern Light Major

Yes. A movie was made about it a few years ago, but I don't recall the name of it.

EDIT: Here it is. Don't you just love Google? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_Noël

9. Northern Light

Northern Light Major

That was just sublime. Thank you for sharing the story and also for sharing that young man's beautiful voice with us, Dave.

Eleanor Rose likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)