I Need Some Help in Identifying a Uniform

We should remember that peace time and early war uniforms can become very elaborate. As the war expands economy and production ease become more important. Just look at some of the plates shown on this forum.

It looks to be a variation of a pleated frock coat. I was commissioned some time back to make a Confederate version in Sheep's Gray Wool Jean... gave me a higher regard for period tailors and seamstresses.

A great historical find, good job!

It looks to be a variation of a pleated frock coat. I was commissioned some time back to make a Confederate version in Sheep's Gray Wool Jean... gave me a higher regard for period tailors and seamstresses.

A great historical find, good job!
Thank you!

It is most likely a Rhode Island officer, Burnside designed enlisted and officer wear, early in the war, that was very unusual, but easy to manufacture. The enlisted had a very plain (no pleats) blouse just like the one depicted and the officers would have a pleated one that went along with the regulation frock.

here are a couple of officer's wearing very similar attire of the 1st RI Vol in 1861:

1552929119228.png

It is most likely a Rhode Island officer, Burnside designed enlisted and officer wear, early in the war, that was very unusual, but easy to manufacture. The enlisted had a very plain (no pleats) blouse just like the one depicted and the officers would have a pleated one that went along with the regulation frock.

here are a couple of officer's wearing very similar attire of the 1st RI Vol in 1861:

View attachment 297649
Aha! That's who is to blame. He should have stayed with designing rifles.

Back