I Need Some Help in Identifying a Uniform

Keep in mind that officers on both sides supplied their own uniforms. Most of them stuck pretty close to standard but there are some interesting variations. Take a look at Custer's wardrobe for a perfect example of this. This was most likely a personal design either by the officer himself or his tailor.
In that case, he needed to find a new tailor. It looks like an artist's smock with a belt.
Thanks, Drew!

In that case, he needed to find a new tailor. It looks like an artist's smock with a belt.
Thanks, Drew!
Oh there's some bad ones, I saw a photo of a Confederate officer's blouse that looked like Seinfeld's puffy shirt if you remember that episode. I'll have to see if I can find it later. Could be an interesting thread. Their attempt at standing out didn't always work out so good. Standing out also makes a good target, they eventually wanted to blend in the best they could.

It looks like a combination of the frock and overcoat. I would like to see what the other officers in his unit were wearing. If not the same I would say there were snickers as well as comments about his wife's dress.

I was looking at this rather odd video and noticed an even odder uniform at the 5:01 mark.

Is this the :cautious: one N.L.? It is...well different. :smile:

1e5707e8-5a30-47ad-b274-7b78204457ea.png

It looks like a combination of the frock and overcoat. I would like to see what the other officers in his unit were wearing. If not the same I would say there were snickers as well as comments about his wife's dress.
Unfortunately, I don't know who his name or regiment. Maybe his wife made it for him and he took a picture to send to her before burning the thing.

To me it does look like some type of rifleman's smock. From the American Revolution to the Mexican American War these were the symbol of riflemen. It would also suggest militia instead of regular army.

The capped shoulders were to help keep rain out. This is of the pleated style popular in some early Civil War units. I would imagine he was proud of his rifle status or light Infantry status, and thus proud of this uniform.

Back