What is this? I need help with identification

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I am attaching photos of shell fragments that were dug in Fredericksburg, Virginia. I purchased these and others this morning. Can anyone tell anything about these and what I should have paid. I am concerned that they are not what I was told. Thanks for your help.
I took photos of both sides and remembered to include a ruler to give you an idea of the size.

Fragment Bottoms Fredericksburg.jpg

Fragment Tops - Fredericksburg.jpg

They all look like arty fragments to me even though they need to be cleaned. Just from the photos I see a few round ball fragments (12lb)? What appears to be part of a parrott shell and the round cap looking thing though its hard to see from the photos and rust appears to be a type 1 Hotchkiss base cup. As far as value thats really hard to say.

Last edited:
They all look like arty fragments to me even though they need to be cleaned. Just from the photos I see a few round ball fragments (12lb)? What appears to be part of a parrott shell and the round cap looking thing though its hard to see from the photos and rust appears to be a type 1 Hotchkiss base cup. As far as value thats really hard to say.
I am new at this. What do you clean them with? Also, I paid $20 for those 4 pieces

There is another thread or two about how to build a bath to use Electrolysis.

This guy built a large one but you can use a plastic oil drain pan and your car battery charger.

I think you paid about the going rate. I would soak them in vinegar for a couple days to loosen some of the rust, then use a wire brush to clean off the loose material. Then I'd rinse them in water, and dry them in the oven. Then thinly coat them in paraffin wax to prevent farther rusting. I'm sure there are other and better methods then this, but this is the one I use.

I think you paid about the going rate. I would soak them in vinegar for a couple days to loosen some of the rust, then use a wire brush to clean off the loose material. Then I'd rinse them in water, and dry them in the oven. Then thinly coat them in paraffin wax to prevent farther rusting. I'm sure there are other and better methods then this, but this is the one I use.
Sounds good to me. Do you have any before and after photos?

Sounds good to me. Do you have any before and after photos?
You could do like I do get a smaller rock/mason hammer lay them on a pc. of wood outside and chip away the rust make sure you have some kind of safety glasses on chip all the light colored rust off then scrape with a wire brush and wash with soap and brush let dry a couple days and put on whatever finish you want.

I would just leave them as is.

Back