I need help with an ID on this frock coat please....

Stoppelman

Cadet
New Jersey frock coat I am thinking it is indian wars but I cant find any information on a frock coat with three rows of buttons....The buttons have the state seal with two women with a horse head above them and what looks like three birds flying between them.It has three cuff buttons on each arm.Its about 44 inches long....It has moth holes and a lot of age ,this picture is too bright, the wool is dark dark blue....

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. We need some better photos to include the inside lining but in the mean time I'll page our uniform gurus. paging @Package4 and @major bill

This frock coat does not follow Army regulations and so seems to probably be a militia frock coat. Militia use triple-breasted frock coat in the post Civil War era are not to uncommon. The braiding on the breast is also not uncommon. One of the issues is that these militia frock coats can be hard to date. If it is a militia coat, which I think it is, the Indian Wars would be a good guess.

The buttons you are describing are New Jersey buttons. We do have button experts who can help date the coat based on the buttons. The markings on the rear of the buttons would be very helpful to our button experts.

New Jersey frock coat I am thinking it is indian wars but I cant find any information on a frock coat with three rows of buttons....The buttons have the state seal with two women with a horse head above them and what looks like three birds flying between them.It has three cuff buttons on each arm.Its about 44 inches long....It has moth holes and a lot of age ,this picture is too bright, the wool is dark dark blue....

View attachment 346580

View attachment 346581

View attachment 346582

View attachment 346583

View attachment 346584
Here are some better photos that might help....

This frock coat does not follow Army regulations and so seems to probably be a militia frock coat. Militia use triple-breasted frock coat in the post Civil War era are not to uncommon. The braiding on the breast is also not uncommon. One of the issues is that these militia frock coats can be hard to date. If it is a militia coat, which I think it is, the Indian Wars would be a good guess.

The buttons you are describing are New Jersey buttons. We do have button experts who can help date the coat based on the buttons. The markings on the rear of the buttons would be very helpful to our button experts.

Here are some better photo's.I appreciate your help....I am stumped.

Anyone know if this an Indian war frock coat? I am stumped with the 3 rows of buttons....

View attachment 346694

View attachment 346695

View attachment 346696

View attachment 346697

View attachment 346698
I believe this to be an 1880s vintage bandsman coat of a militia unit, it generally follows the US Army band uniform guidelines of the 1880s, which were extremely loose. The buttons are post war and the subdued herringbone pattern is very common in this era. The three rows of buttons on a single breasted coat are only found, to my knowledge, on band members uniforms, though most of these coats have a more lively color than the subdued hue exhibited here.

I believe this to be an 1880s vintage bandsman coat of a militia unit, it generally follows the US Army band uniform guidelines of the 1880s, which were extremely loose. The buttons are post war and the subdued herringbone pattern is very common in this era. The three rows of buttons on a single breasted coat are only found, to my knowledge, on band members uniforms, though most of these coats have a more lively color than the subdued hue exhibited here.

Thanks for your time ! That's neat knowing how old it is. Now I need a horn to put in the case with it ! Thanks again. Andrew in Ohio.....

Back