I Have Enlisted!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

AB1863

Cadet
I am new to this forum though I am not new to the Civil War. I have been studying it since I was 8. I would like to be a historian after high school. I am looking for advice, helpful hints, and am looking forward to gleaning new knowledge. I have a blog dedicated to the Civil War called For God and Country.

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
AB1863,

I look forward to your future postings here and in many of the forums here. I must warn you though; there will be times the software will net a naughty word or more. It will appear in your post as a ***** . Moderators have no control over it but; if you do find a word that triggers the ****, private message CivilWarTalk or Ami, so they can tinker with the word filter. Until the word is added to the ok list, for example; if you see a word you know is innocent, like fu-rt-her or, General C-um-mings and or ship's s-cr-ew; as exampled, just go back to your original post, hit the edit button and insert a few well placed hyphens if you will, and private message CivilWarTalk or Ami--the CWT List Owners. [Can be contacted by going to your Inbox (messages file), scroll down to the "Send New Message," and explain the problem, where you posted and post # if you can. That way they can find the troublemaker word real fast.

Another thing we're finding; is that some names are shared by other states, same with roads. So, if you will - when you are talking about Arlington, please denote which one-- Arlington, Virginia, Arlington, Texas, etc. Columbia Pike, is another common road term; so it would help to know where this road is--Virginia or elsewhere. That way, we're able to follow your topic/words/comments and observations.

Please know there are no quotas but, certainly want to hear from you.

Post when you feel comfortable in doing so and at your own speed.

References are wonderful if you have them. It is great to go to the same book, page and read as another poster has; to read all of what that page has to offer. I like official records myself. So, I post all the information I can as to share.

Personal opinions and comments are welcomed also. So, don't feel this forum requires only references as to post comments about. However, I must mention that it does help when it is expressed when a post is a personal opinion or a statement of facts.

Look forward to your postings here.

Please look at the Blog Forum and elsewhere, if it is of assistance.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

AB1863

Cadet
That's the best kind of general to be! Any general can give orders and have troops follow his orders but it takes a special sort of general to make his troops WANT to follow his orders.

ExNavyPilot

2nd Lieutenant
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. When I was your age (MANY moons ago!) I had a general appreciation of history but no great attraction. As I moved on through life I became more and more interested in history (especially military topics) and have populated several shelves with my books on the Navy (WWII and aviation in particular), the Civil War, and US history. It is great to see someone so young develop an abiding attraction to history, especially that of the Civil War. Enjoy your time here in the forum and don't let any of us old codgers intimidate you; your opinion will be respected and your knowledge might even be better than ours! Above all, learn something new and have fun!