I found a Civil War MOH...in a French Museum

Cdoug96

Corporal
While visiting Paris I had the pleasure of visiting the Musée National de la Légion d’Honneur & des Ordres de Chevalerie. There were many interesting things in there on the Legion d'Honneur, and they had many different medals from many different countries, but the most surprising thing to me is that they had somehow managed to acquire a Civil War medal of honor!
IMAG1620.jpg

IMAG1619.jpg

The pictures I inserted show that it was awarded to a Thomas Gilbert in 1864, but nothing else. Can someone identify the regiment he was in and why he got it? How did it end up in a French museum? Anyone have other thoughts?

Pvt. Thomas Gilbert, 18th Ind Btry, NY Light Arty, Cited for extinguishing fuses.
Residence was not listed; 28 years old.
Enlisted on 8/27/1862 at Rochester, NY as a Private.
On 9/13/1862 he mustered into NY 18th Light Artillery
He was Mustered Out on 7/20/1865 at Rochester, NY
Medal of Honor Information:
He was awarded the Medal of Honor
for action on 10/11/1864 at Baton Rouge, LA.
(Picked up several burning shells and put fuse in water,
preventing their explosion)

I believe that this is one of the MOHs that was rescinded for "frivolity"

While visiting Paris I had the pleasure of visiting the Musée National de la Légion d’Honneur & des Ordres de Chevalerie. There were many interesting things in there on the Legion d'Honneur, and they had many different medals from many different countries, but the most surprising thing to me is that they had somehow managed to acquire a Civil War medal of honor! View attachment 336533

View attachment 336534

The pictures I inserted show that it was awarded to a Thomas Gilbert in 1864, but nothing else. Can someone identify the regiment he was in and why he got it? How did it end up in a French museum? Anyone have other thoughts?
Huh, I wonder what the story is there?

Pvt. Thomas Gilbert, 18th Ind Btry, NY Light Arty, Cited for extinguishing fuses.

Somehow handling a live shell does not strike me as frivolous..playing catch with it, would be frivolous!

While visiting Paris I had the pleasure of visiting the Musée National de la Légion d’Honneur & des Ordres de Chevalerie.

What!!

MOH__ France.jpg

Staff Sergeant George D. Keathley was a member of B Company, 338th Infantry, 85th Infantry Division----my Dad's division. S/Sgt Keathley was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for action on 14 September 1944 while fighting to take Monte Altuzzo, Italy.

Citation: Staff Sergeant George D. Keathley, Company B, 338th Infantry, United States Army

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty, in action on the western ridge of Mount Altuzzo, Italy. After bitter fighting his company had advanced to within fifty yards of the objective, where it was held up due to intense enemy sniper, automatic, small arms, and mortar fire. The enemy launched three desperate counterattacks in an effort to regain their former positions, but all three were repulsed with heavy casualties on both sides. All officers and noncommissioned officers of the 2d and 3d platoons of Company B had become casualties, and S/Sgt. Keathley, guide of the 1st platoon, moved up and assumed command of both the 2d and 3d platoons, reduced to twenty men. The remnants of the two platoons were dangerously low on ammunition, so S/Sgt. Keathley, under deadly small arms and mortar fire, crawled from one casualty to another, collecting their ammunition and administering first aid. He then visited each man of his two platoons, issuing the precious ammunition he had collected from the dead and wounded, and giving them words of encouragement. The enemy now delivered their fourth counterattack, which was approximately two companies in strength. In a furious charge they attacked from the front and both flanks, throwing hand grenades, firing automatic weapons, and assisted by a terrific mortar barrage. So strong was the enemy counterattack that the company was given up for lost. The remnants of the 2d and 3d platoons of Company B were now looking to S/Sgt. Keathley for leadership. He shouted his orders precisely and with determination and the men responded with all that was in them. Time after time the enemy tried to drive a wedge into S/Sgt. Keathley's position and each time they were driven back, suffering huge casualties. Suddenly an enemy hand grenade hit and exploded near S/Sgt. Keathley, inflicting a mortal wound in his left side. However, hurling defiance at the enemy, he rose to his feet. Taking his left hand away from his wound and using it to steady his rifle, he fired and killed an attacking enemy soldier, and continued shouting orders to his men. His heroic and intrepid action so inspired his men that they fought with incomparable determination and viciousness. For fifteen minutes S/Sgt. Keathley continued leading his men and effectively firing his rifle. He could have sought a sheltered spot and perhaps saved his life, but instead he elected to set an example for his men and make every possible effort to hold his position. Finally, friendly artillery fire helped to force the enemy to withdraw, leaving behind many of their number either dead or seriously wounded. S/Sgt. Keathley died a few moments later. Had it not been for his indomitable courage and incomparable heroism, the remnants of three rifle platoons of Company B might well have been annihilated by the overwhelming enemy attacking force. His actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service."

The Keathley Dorm at Texas A & M University is named after S/Sgt George Dennis Keathley, class of 1937. In the Student Union, there is a display representing the insignia and medals of S/Sgt Keathley. I was sure the MOH on display at Texas A&M was not the original one but I did not expect to find it in France.

{Edited}
I wonder what "Spada Collection" is? There is a Galleria Spada Collection in Italy but they only collect art.

S/Sgt Keathley wearing his CD shoulder patch.
1C1D068F-702B-4151-BBF4-F711B505A4FF.jpeg

Last edited:

It astonishes me that Pvt. Gilbert could lose his Medal of Honor earned for handling burning shells and saving the lives of his fellow soldiers for "frivolity", while for example the 20+ men who received the Medal of Honor for their participation in the Wounded Knee massacre for reasons such as "bravery", "continuing to fight after being wounded" and killing "a hostile Indian in close quarters" retain theirs to this day.

It astonishes me that Pvt. Gilbert could lose his Medal of Honor earned for handling burning shells and saving the lives of his fellow soldiers for "frivolity", while for example the 20+ men who received the Medal of Honor for their participation in the Wounded Knee massacre for reasons such as "bravery", "continuing to fight after being wounded" and killing "a hostile Indian in close quarters" retain theirs to this day.
I agree. I would imagine that this was part of the review that happened when they rescinded an entire unit's MOHs for reentlisting.

Thomas C. Barton (born 1831 in Cleveland, Ohio) was an American seaman who served in the Union Navy during the American Civil War. Barton enlisted in the Navy in June 1861, and resigned in April 1864.

While serving aboard the USS Hunchback during the Joint Expedition Against Franklin, Barton extinguished an ignited howitzer shell which had fallen onto the deck. For this action, Barton was promoted to acting master's mate and awarded the Medal of Honor on 3 April 1863;the citation for the latter read:
On board the U.S.S. Hunchback in the attack on Franklin, Va., 3 October 1862. When an ignited shell, with cartridge attached, fell out of the howitzer upon the deck, S/man Barton promptly seized a pail of water and threw it upon the missile, thereby preventing it from exploding.

Back