I finally realized what revolvers were used in this holster.

drm2m

Sergeant
d-that-this-holster-was-for-Navy-caliber-revolvers.jpg

r-Revolvers-with-an-E-Gaylord-Navy-Caliber-Holster.jpg

ctured-holster-for-the-Navy-caliber-revolvers-Copy.jpg
I bought the holster in 2005 thinking it was a combination holster for the '60 Colt Army and Remington New Model Army.
It took 15 years to realize that I was wrong.
The Colt and Remington would fit in the holster but there was no way the closure strap was long enough to attach it to
the brass closing finial.

Wrong-holster-for-these-two-revolvers.jpg

I recently learn this about Gaylord.
E. GAYLORD
CHICOPEE
MASS

The Emerson Gaylord had entered into the military accouterments business in 1841 in partnership with N.P. Ames of the famous Ames Manufacturing Company. Initially Gaylord produced the sword scabbards for Ames contract edged weapons, as well as harnesses. In 1856, Gaylord purchased the leather and accouterments making part of the Ames business, establishing the Emerson Gaylord Company. Over the next decade the firm would become the premier Ordnance Department accouterment contractors. According to the research published in American Military Goods Dealers and Makers by Bazelon & McGuinn, between 1862 and 1865 the firm would deliver “33,000 carbine cartridge boxes, 20,000 saber belts & plates, 5,000 pistol cartridge boxes, 11,000 NCO belts & plates, 17,000 pistol holsters, 20,000 cavalry accouterment sets, 22,000 carbine slings, 17,000 slings & swivels, 27,000 NCO belts, 9,600 sword knots, 23,000 Blakeslee cartridge boxes, 12,000 Mann’s Cartridge Boxes, 5,000 Hoffman Bayonets, 5,000 cavalry cartridge boxes & slings, and 5,000 Stewart’s attachments.” Obviously, the firm was a manufacturing power house.

Last edited:
Very Nice collection. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I wonder if these two scabbards were manufactured by Emerson Gaylord for Ames.

E. GAYLORD
CHICOPEE
MASS

Emerson Gaylord had entered into the military accouterments business in 1841 in partnership with N.P. Ames of the famous Ames Manufacturing Company. Initially Gaylord produced the sword scabbards for Ames contract edged weapons, as well as harnesses. In 1856, Gaylord purchased the leather and accouterments making part of the Ames business, establishing the Emerson Gaylord Company.

DSC04806.jpg[/url
Ames-markings.jpg
]DSC04821-1.jpg
Dahlgren-Bayonet-scabbard.jpg

Dahlgren-bayonet-and-scabbard.jpg

Back