Forrest I denounce you as a puppy and a scoundrel.

This is not a "Forrest worship" site--we said from the beginning we wanted warts and all. Sooooooooo....feel free to leave the invective out occasionally and get to the nitty gritty. Otherwise, it gets boring.

Warts are good so long as they pertain to the OP. Injecting something way off topic hardly enhances the subject at hand.
I think Forrest may have been trying to provoke some response from the mayor to diminish the man's standing in the community, and perhaps get a chance to punch his face in to boot, but reading the OP and the leap to instigating a duel is a bit of a stretch. Just because he is Nathan B. Forrest does not mean he is always looking to kill someone.

Warts are good so long as they pertain to the OP. Injecting something way off topic hardly enhances the subject at hand.
I think Forrest may have been trying to provoke some response from the mayor to diminish the man's standing in the community, and perhaps get a chance to punch his face in to boot, but reading the OP and the leap to instigating a duel is a bit of a stretch. Just because he is Nathan B. Forrest does not mean he is always looking to kill someone.

Well, he did skin people with his saber and eat babies. :smile: That's a joke, people!

I could not find the puppy and scoundrel forum

You could find the Forrest forum. My dear friend, I strongly suggest that if you wish to post about Forrest to please post in the Forrest forum. That is what is is there for. If you are unhappy with someone, please PM them and any other appropriate persons to resolve your difficulty. I and the other hosts of this forum have strongly advocated for it and Mike was apprehensive. PLEASE do not make his misgivings a reality.

I think Forrest would have made a great statesman. Congress would have been a lot more interesting.

When would he have made a great statesmen? After the war when he was an active member of the Klan? Later (much later) in life, when he made gestures toward equality for African Americans? Not to drag current politics in; there is Senator James K. Vardaman, of Mississippi who was one "of the little group of willful men expressing no opinion but their own"who opposed Wilson's move to enter the World War. In theory he should be up there with Robert LaFallotte and George Norris on the liberal pantheon. Problem is Vardaman also said:"if it is necessary every Negro in the state will be lynched; it will be done to maintain ****."

Or are you just focusing on NBF language? Who would be the target? Or maybe you mean the whole comment as a joke?

Not to drag current politics in; there is Senator James K. Vardaman, of Mississippi who was one "of the little group of willful men expressing no opinion but their own"who opposed Wilson's move to enter the World War. In theory he should be up there with Robert LaFallotte and George Norris on the liberal pantheon. Problem is Vardaman also said:"if it is necessary every Negro in the state will be lynched; it will be done to maintain ****."

Or are you just focusing on NBF language? Who would be the target? Or maybe you mean the whole comment as a joke?

godofredus,

Without a doubt, Vardaman was a racist. I don't believe anyone familiar with him would disagree with that fact.

However, please clarify how Vardaman has any connection to the confrontation between Forrest & the Mayor of Memphis back in 1867 ?

Vardaman was only 4 years old when the War ended. He wasn't elected Governor until 1904 . . . long after Forrest had departed this earthly realm. It wasn't until 1913, that James K. Vardaman was elected to the United States Senate.

So . . . I'm asking how does your post about Vardaman relate to Forrest's confrontation with the Mayor of Memphis, Tennessee 37 years earlier ?

Last edited:
Back