I came across an academic who found this out. Thoughts? Comments?

Fire Eater25

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone ever heard or has knowledge about this cause I never heard this before and was kinda curious I guess.
So an academic posted this to twitter.

In the process of attacking Sherman's supply lines, Hood encountered the 44th United States Colored Troops garrisoning a Federal position at Dalton. Hood demanded their surrender. Refusal, he promised, would be met with no quarter. The 44th USCT's CO, Col. Lewis Johnson, worried about the lives of his men and, under a truce flag, asked Hood whether his African-American troops would be treated as prisoners of war or slaves if surrendered.

Col. Johnson reported, "I was told by General Hood that he would return all slaves belonging to persons in the Confederacy to their masters, and when I protested against this... he said I might surrender them as whatever I pleased."

"Although assured by General Hood in person that the terms of the agreement should be strictly observed, my men, especially the colored soldiers, were immediately robbed and abused in a terrible manner..." heaping insults upon me and my officers. He had my colored soldiers robbed of their shoes (this was done systematically and by his order), and sent them down to the railroad and made them tear up the track for a distance of nearly two miles..." One of my soldiers, who refused to injure the track, was shot on the spot, as were also five others shortly after the surrender, who, having been sick, were unable to keep up with the rest on the march..." A number of my soldiers were returned to their former masters.

This I know was done, because I saw it done in a number of instances myself. When about to be paroled, I tried to get the free servants and soldiers in the regiment... released, but to no avail..." From the treatment I received, and what I observed after my capture, I am sure that not a man would have been spared had I not surrendered when I did, and several times on the march soldiers made a rush upon the guards to massacre the colored soldiers and their officers..."

Mississippians did this principally (belonging to Stewart's corps), and were often encouraged in these outrages by officers of high rank. I saw a lieutenant colonel who endeavored to infuriate a mob, and we were only saved from massacre by our guards’ greatest efforts."

This was discovered during his research he said and I was wondering what y’all thought

Last edited by a moderator:
Back