OH I ate lunch with a Hooker today (Humor to Sadness)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I ate lunch next to Federal Major General Joseph "Fighting Joe" Hooker's grave today at the Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum in Cincinnati, Ohio.

20200326_143542.jpg

20200326_143335.jpg

20200326_143324.jpg

20200326_143306.jpg

20200326_142803.jpg

On a somber note.....

One of my fellow Ohio law enforcers was killed last Saturday night. A fleeing felon struck her cruiser on the interstate as she was about to deploy stop sticks. She will be buried at the Spring Grove Cemetery on Sunday.

20200326_124134.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear, Bill. That really is tragic. With everything else that is going on, it's almost too hard to contemplate this ...

She looks like a beautiful young woman, and my thoughts and prayers for her loved ones and all her fellow officers.

Very, very sad indeed.

Oh dear, Bill. That really is tragic. With everything else that is going on, it's almost too hard to contemplate this ...

She looks like a beautiful young woman, and my thoughts and prayers for her loved ones and all her fellow officers.

Very, very sad indeed.

I stopped by the Spring Grove Cemetery Funeral Home to visit her Chief. After we talked for a bit, I decided to eat lunch near Joseph Hooker's gravesite. I attempted to post a funny thread to erase the sadness of her death. It worked for a bit.....

Bill

P.S. I will not miss draping my badge after I retire in 2024. I hate draping my badge!!!

I will not miss draping my badge after I retire in 2024. I hate draping my badge!!!
I can't imagine what you've seen or had to experience over the years and I'm sure another four years seems like a long time at this stage.

I'm glad you came here to try and add a bit of cheer, but it's also covering a lot of pain.

Condolences again and keep up the good work, Bill. You know we all appreciate it.

I can't imagine what you've seen or had to experience over the years and I'm sure another four years seems like a long time at this stage.

I'm glad you came here to try and add a bit of cheer, but it's also covering a lot of pain.

Condolences again and keep up the good work, Bill. You know we all appreciate it.

Thank you, CC!

And to top it off, I had to serve the indictment to the individual which killed Officer Grant in the hospital yesterday (University of Cincinnati ICU). He made my skin crawl....

Bill

I get it, CD!

My post was supposed to be a cheeky thread but it lead to the main reason I visited this cemetery. Humor helps in my vocation.

Bill
We were just talking about that on the corona virus thread in Campfire Chat. One of the other members said 'dark humor' was one way she used to cope before posting her comment, and I agreed. It is a great coping measure during times of stress, and especially when you work in any kind of crisis or frontline service. Totally get it, and I liked the cheeky implications of your title! I'm sure there are stories you could tell about your colleague that could make us smile, too.

The thought of serving the guy who killed her is sickening, if not impossible to imagine. Don't know how you held it together, but as a police officer, I'm sure the notion of duty overrides the rest. So much of the work you do on a daily basis goes unrecognized.

But, not today. The same goes for your colleague.

I agree but I chose this profession not for the glory. I enjoy working with people.

But this is about Officer Grant......

Semper Fi,
Bill
So very sorry for her loss. I had read the story, here in NE Ohio. It’s always hard when a comrade falls, especially one so young. My condolences to you and your fellow officers. I am sure that Hooker’s spirit understood, and welcomed your presence. She Stood and Fell understanding her duty. No one could ask for more.

Back