Handguns I am searching for a family 1860 Colt used by my GGGF.

tripped

Private
Many years ago, maybe a generation, someone in my family sold my GG Grand-Fathers 1860 Colt. It was engraved something to the effect "John Lyon Petersburg Militia" across the handle backstrap. On the bottom is possibly written "from father". It is a fluted barrel Colt, and if my information is correct, it was shipped to Peter Williams in Richmond in April 1861. Years ago I saw a mention of it on a google group. I have now hit a stone wall having been told by one person that they had it, only to be told later, after arranging to come look at it, that it was not an engraved gun. Would appreciate any leads and would even consider paying a finders fee. There may be a militia sword with it that belonged to my GGG Grand Father

Thanks

Steve

It would have been a Colt model 1860 Army and only the first 5000 had fluted cylinders and not a fluted barrel and they are a very distinctive and rare gun and is more than likely in a private collection. That being said and ingraved it will be a Very expensive piece.

Many years ago, maybe a generation, someone in my family sold my GG Grand-Fathers 1860 Colt. It was engraved something to the effect "John Lyon Petersburg Militia" across the handle backstrap. On the bottom is possibly written "from father". It is a fluted barrel Colt, and if my information is correct, it was shipped to Peter Williams in Richmond in April 1861. Years ago I saw a mention of it on a google group. I have now hit a stone wall having been told by one person that they had it, only to be told later, after arranging to come look at it, that it was not an engraved gun. Would appreciate any leads and would even consider paying a finders fee. There may be a militia sword with it that belonged to my GGG Grand Father

Thanks

Steve
Here is what I would do, though it will not be cheap and if the collector has no interest may not reply. Take out an add in the North South Trader magazine and form it as though you only want to know more about your ancestry and not purchase. Many collectors are happy to oblige family research, but balk at unsolicited sales overtures.

You can then approach with an offer once you get a feel for the individual and piece.

Thanks

Steve
Where are you located? The Baltimore Antiques Arms Show is coming up and I would guarantee someone there knows about this gun.

@Package4 is spot on. Another thing is to establish just who he was and back track from there. Is he John Lyon who was an attorney and a Capt in The Petersburg militia who went on to be a JAG for the CS Army in Norfolk. His father was Leroy S Lyon?

@Package4 is spot on. Another thing is to establish just who he was and back track from there. Is he John Lyon who was an attorney and a Capt in The Petersburg militia who went on to be a JAG for the CS Army in Norfolk. His father was Leroy S Lyon?
His father was Daniel Lyon. Leroy was his son. I know the history, I am not sure which relative sold the gun. Thanks.

Where are you located? The Baltimore Antiques Arms Show is coming up and I would guarantee someone there knows about this gun.
Thanks, I will not make it up there this year. I have discussed it with many dealers and experts but am trying further a field now.

Good luck finding it, I hope you do. Any ideas of where it might have possibly wound up?
I believe it was sold locally to Petersburg/Richmond, possibly in an auction. I though I had found it earlier this year belonging to the family of the person who allegedly bought it at auction. The person claiming to have it said it was bought by his father. When I arranged to come and look at it I found out that the gun he was offering was not engraved. Not sure I got the whole story. I've had a hard time communicating with the family. Thanks

I believe it was sold locally to Petersburg/Richmond, possibly in an auction. I though I had found it earlier this year belonging to the family of the person who allegedly bought it at auction. The person claiming to have it said it was bought by his father. When I arranged to come and look at it I found out that the gun he was offering was not engraved. Not sure I got the whole story. I've had a hard time communicating with the family. Thanks
Have you spoken to the folks at Perry Adams Antiques, they seem to know most of what is in the area.

Have you spoken to the folks at Perry Adams Antiques, they seem to know most of what is in the area.
Years ago I spoke to every shop and collector I could find in Virginia. None had heard of it. The only leads I have had was a google group discussion and the family I’ve recently spoken with.

Back