I AM APPALLED -- Defacing of monument on South Mountain

KansasFreestater

1st Lieutenant
Due west of the Free State stronghold of Lawrence
I saw this monument a little over a year ago. Even though I am a diehard Unionist, this monument to North Carolina soldiers is very well-done and very moving, and I have a special affection for it. It is located in a beautiful, out-of-the-way spot that you have to hike about a quarter-mile to get to. I felt like I'd discovered a hidden treasure.

It's not hidden enough, I guess. I'm just amazed that vandals even knew about this monument, much less would take the trouble to get there. But then, vandals are cowards, and the monument's placement at a site that can't be seen from main roads would make their nasty deed easier, wouldn't it?

This kind of thing really grieves me.

North Carolina monument vandalism.jpg

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article203707029.html

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

KansasFreestater

1st Lieutenant
Due west of the Free State stronghold of Lawrence
Last edited:

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
Some people encourage this activity. Its the latest craze among some groups. Its been my full time job on Georgia lately to stop the removal of several monuments in DeKalb. Trying to raise funds for $200,000 in damage to a Rome, GA. Monument which happens to be in a cemetery. We are now funding efforts to support state law that does not leave a lot for monument vandalism and repair. We have been looking for a blanket insurance policy that would cover all monuments like a homeowners policy would do.
Edited.

Why is it always my ancestors monuments!?
First the one in NC that was generic to ‘the NC boys who served in gray,’ now this one.

This is not a statue, its a battle monument where people actually fought and died. Disrespectful.
I agree very disrespectful, when you think about it there were man that died on both sides . Both sides should be remembered, respected and honored.

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
It still amazes that a pattern of this seems to have developed, yet I'm not seeing any indication that parks are being proactive, since most of these events seem to happen overnight aren't they even patrolling the parks? Not to mention today with technology would think they'd have cameras monitoring them.

If they are doing security and catching and prosecuting some of the thugs, why aren't they getting it out publicly to actually be a deterrent

I don't know, to me its sad it happens, but starting to seem sadder they aren't doing more to prevent it..........

It still amazes that a pattern of this seems to have developed, yet I'm not seeing any indication that parks are being proactive, since most of these events seem to happen overnight aren't they even patrolling the parks? Not to mention today with technology would think they'd have cameras monitoring them.
Most parks -- local, state, and federal -- struggle with budgets to keep full staffing when they're officially open.

Viper21

Sergeant Major

If they are doing security and catching and prosecuting some of the thugs, why aren't they getting it out publicly to actually be a deterrent

I don't know, to me its sad it happens, but starting to seem sadder they aren't doing more to prevent it..........
Tell the game wardens someone has been spot lighting deer there at night. They'll have every inch of the area under camera's eye. :smile:

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
With so many wireless cameras that can very well hidden, I'm surprised more aren't being put up in lots of places to monitor. The prices have come down so much and the apps run on phones now. However, as I'm writing this, and living across from a historic (early 1700s cemetery) there aren't any cameras there and should be.

MattL

2nd Lieutenant
When I see things like this, I can only say , WHY ? There is an old cemetery near here that just had a half a dozen headstones knocked over by vandals. Again I ask , WHY ??
Unfortunately some people want to find any excuse to damage things, especially monuments. This has happened pretty much forever for a variety of reasons. Often those specific people will justify it however they want, they just want to be destructive. The random things people are willing to vandalize has always surprised me. Though I don't agree with it when they do it for some sort of ideology at least I can see a motivation (though again many I suspect just are looking for an excuse), its the things that don't have an ideology behind it, just random and blatant vandalism and destruction that some people want to do. I guess it falls under the same category as why do some people take a magnifying glass to an ant hill, why do some people like to mistreat animals, etc... an unhealthy outlet for something in their life they aren't happy about.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!