Hunt for Confederate Flags stolen from Cemetery

I agree...especially now. I had a Bonnie Blue for years and people thought it was a Republic of Texas flag. :D
I have a Gillis flag displayed above my Civil War book case and no one knows what the jeepers it is. While helping at the SCV booth this year for the local reenactment, I was the go to person for questions about the flags. So many people that came by to say hi, had never considered the different flags we had displayed. We sold several Bonnie Blues that day!

Our Chapter places First National flags on the grave stones when we host our Memorial ceremonies. They are removed straight after for this very reason and so we can reuse them for future services.

@AshleyMel ,

VERY smart and yet still showing respect.

Good move on your Chapter's part.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I partially agree.The truly dumb and lazy ones will never put forth the effort to learn history. But a few of their "leaders" will and inform the followers that the now safer flags are offensive too. And quite possibly, like a herd of something, the "offended" will go after the other flags.

I'm not arguing, there's no doubt it'll be tried. Guessing it already has. I've just noticed a certain lack of willingness to exert themselves when there's no gee-whiz factor, you know? The CBF is recognizable around the world now, a touchstone for contention. It's just an opinion, the Bonnie Blue lacks recognition to the point where it'd be tough getting anyone looking for a big pop to be interested.

CBFs are not as readily available as they once were. Vendors and supply is drying up. Stealing from a cemetary (or any other source) is a lazy man's way of obtaining a supply of something that there is a market for.

Interesting thought. It's like a denouement in a crime story - everyone's speculating about the motive: political correctness, simple vandalism, etc. and finally someone says "Maybe he just wanted the flags" :wink:

I partially agree.The truly dumb and lazy ones will never put forth the effort to learn history. But a few of their "leaders" will and inform the followers that the now safer flags are offensive too. And quite possibly, like a herd of something, the "offended" will go after the other flags.

And the same people would squeal like stuck pigs if someone vandalized one of their monuments.

Game cameras

Given that cemeteries are usually closed at night yet a popular target for vandals and bored teenagers I'm surprised more cemeteries don't have them for security. Then again, many cemeteries are quite large and game cameras able to make out faces are presumably not cheap. The cameras themselves sometimes get stolen, no matter how well they are secured.

Incidents like this I always wonder if it's actually some anti-Confederate protest/vigilante behavior or if it's just some troll/griefer. If you get your jollies by getting a reaction, making others angry or upset, Confederate flags and monuments are a really easy and obvious target.

That's the point, they should not offend anyone because they are in a graveyard, one of the places that should cause no uproar or commotion. The flags were placed there to honor the individual soldiers at rest, not to cause riots or unrest.
It seems the PC police and their minions are now telling people "how" and "who" they are allowed to respect and mourn.

Given that cemeteries are usually closed at night yet a popular target for vandals and bored teenagers I'm surprised more cemeteries don't have them for security. Then again, many cemeteries are quite large and game cameras able to make out faces are presumably not cheap. The cameras themselves sometimes get stolen, no matter how well they are secured.

Incidents like this I always wonder if it's actually some anti-Confederate protest/vigilante behavior or if it's just some troll/griefer. If you get your jollies by getting a reaction, making others angry or upset, Confederate flags and monuments are a really easy and obvious target.
As long as we're wondering, I wonder if we're dealing with "normal" people here. Either way a protester, a bored teenager ,an enterprising thief or who knows,etc. Taking anything from a cemetery is not a normal act.

Taking anything from a cemetery is not a normal act.

Sadly, it is very common in 21st Century America. Ain't no law, or action that can solve it only way is to change the hearts of the people, and in this day and age of hate on all sides, I think heart is currently a memory.

Politics and elites in politics on every side of every political debate created this storm, now not only do we must live with the consequences, of that, but so must the dead.

I guess another way of putting it, is everyone has become screwballs.

It seems the PC police and their minions are now telling people "how" and "who" they are allowed to respect and mourn.

I don't buy that argument.

This took place in a graveyard, a place where these men are supposed to be at rest after dying for a cause they fought for. Right or wrong, they need to be respected for that final act and be permitted to rest in peace. ALL cemeteries should be neutral ground and the living should respect that.

Let's not accuse until we have actual information.

I don't buy that argument.

This took place in a graveyard, a place where these men are supposed to be at rest after dying for a cause they fought for. Right or wrong, they need to be respected for that final act and be permitted to rest in peace. ALL cemeteries should be neutral ground and the living should respect that.

Let's not accuse until we have actual information.
I get your point however this is not an isolated incident … there has been vandalism of Confederate statues in cemeteries as well.

I get your point however this is not an isolated incident … there has been vandalism of Confederate statues in cemeteries as well.

To me, Confederate statues are a whole other situation and must be evaluated one at a time for their significance and meaning.

BUT, I do not wish to engage on such in this thread, as it is not compatible with the OP, nor do I wish to take this thread off on a tanget.

To me, Confederate statues are a whole other situation and must be evaluated one at a time for their significance and meaning.

BUT, I do not wish to engage on such in this thread, as it is not compatible with the OP, nor do I wish to take this thread off on a tanget.
I was referring to statue in a "Confederate cemetery".... ALL cemeteries and their icons should be off limits.

Unless by PC you mean Post-Confederate; in no way, shape or form has stealing graveyard flags ever been considered by anybody to be Politically-Correct.

There are definitely people unworthy of respect. Whether that includes the Confederate dead is another question.

Taking anything from a cemetery is not a normal act.

Define "normal." Carving up a tree or defacing a historic structure with graffiti, often to express your love for someone, is a common behavior - you might say normal. That doesn't make it an acceptable behavior.

now not only do we must live with the consequences, of that, but so must the dead.

The dead don't live with consequences; they're dead.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but it's only going to get worse unless judges start giving out more than a slap on the wrist.

The same could be said about vandalism in general.

Back