Hunt for Confederate Flags stolen from Cemetery

Harms88

Sergeant
Hunt for Stolen Confederate Flags

Unfortunately I don't have I guess enough posts to post in the Confederate Flag forum. So, I'll post the article here instead.

So I guess that someone stole 200+ Confederate Flags that were placed on the graves of Confederate veterans from a town in Virginia. A reward of $1,500 is offered for knowledge of their whereabouts and their return.

Frankly though, we all know they aren't getting them back.

This act is unexcusable and should be condemned by one and all.
Agreed, years back was at funeral shortly after Memorial Day. Saw a friend snatching up flags. I should have thought better of my friend but it really ****** me off and I said so. Turned out he put them there, and they were back the next year.

This kind of thing happens all the time, sometimes the cemeteries themselves remove the flags from graves a day after their put out, but US flags on other veteran graves go unmolested. Here in NE Texas, our SCV camps were having enormous problems with flags being removed constantly, until we switched to using 1st National "Stars and Bars" flags, which are always left alone. I think 1st Nationals, or CS National flags are more appropriate anyway, the flag(s) of the nation they fought for are more appropriate than a battle flag anyway. I'd bet money this SCV Camp having these problems put up BF's on the graves.

I wonder if the SCV could set up a Go Fund Me Site to buy replacement flags...

The SCV has its own arrangement for the manufacture of flags, and is a big seller of them now. National could always donate the flags, but they'd get stolen. Finding the perpetrators is the only way.

This kind of thing happens all the time, sometimes the cemeteries themselves remove the flags from graves a day after their put out, but US flags on other veteran graves go unmolested. Here in NE Texas, our SCV camps were having enormous problems with flags being removed constantly, until we switched to using 1st National "Stars and Bars" flags, which are always left alone. I think 1st Nationals, or CS National flags are more appropriate anyway, the flag(s) of the nation they fought for are more appropriate than a battle flag anyway. I'd bet money this SCV Camp having these problems put up BF's on the graves.

The SCV has its own arrangement for the manufacture of flags, and is a big seller of them now. National could always donate the flags, but they'd get stolen. Finding the perpetrators is the only way.

I agree...especially now. I had a Bonnie Blue for years and people thought it was a Republic of Texas flag. :D

Why ? Just why ? Who do those flags offend in a cemetery ?

That's the point, they should not offend anyone because they are in a graveyard, one of the places that should cause no uproar or commotion. The flags were placed there to honor the individual soldiers at rest, not to cause riots or unrest.

That's the point, they should not offend anyone because they are in a graveyard, one of the places that should cause no uproar or commotion. The flags were placed there to honor the individual soldiers at rest, not to cause riots or unrest.

I think in this day and age nothing is off limits for many, many ridiculously stupid reasons.

Eventually even the very stupid will figure out the Bonnie Blue and the National flags and be "offended".Or pretend to be!

You know, I thought that too but changed my mind. Have a feeling the Bonnie Blue is safe. One of the huge, huge problems surrounding contention over the battle flag is lack of knowledge. Yes, misused a lot but this knee-jerk reaction stuff, not understanding who is laying beneath a cemetery stone, is frequently ( not always ) from folks who don't bother to try understanding. It takes effort and a sincere wish to know history. I just don't see the effort going into it, do you?

I'm picky about cemeteries anyway. Re-writing the stories of people who aren't around any more bugs me. Swiping flags means those stories are supposed to go away.

You know, I thought that too but changed my mind. Have a feeling the Bonnie Blue is safe. One of the huge, huge problems surrounding contention over the battle flag is lack of knowledge. Yes, misused a lot but this knee-jerk reaction stuff, not understanding who is laying beneath a cemetery stone, is frequently ( not always ) from folks who don't bother to try understanding. It takes effort and a sincere wish to know history. I just don't see the effort going into it, do you?

I'm picky about cemeteries anyway. Re-writing the stories of people who aren't around any more bugs me. Swiping flags means those stories are supposed to go away.
I partially agree.The truly dumb and lazy ones will never put forth the effort to learn history. But a few of their "leaders" will and inform the followers that the now safer flags are offensive too. And quite possibly, like a herd of something, the "offended" will go after the other flags.

Back