Hunley Lawsuit Dropped

RoadDog

Corporal
I was not aware of this, but the Aug. 23rd Charleston SC Post and Courier had an article about Clive Cussler dropping his lawsuit vs. Edward Lee Spence. Spence claims that he found the Hunley in 1970, whereas Cussler found it in 1995.

There evidently is a lot of bad blood and feelings here. Cussler wanted Spence to stop going around and telling folks that he found it. Spence had a countersuit for between $100,000 to $309 million for damages. Nothing about whether he dropped his as well.

And, the article comments were interesting as well. Especially the seven or eight from Spence who calls himself HunleyFinder.

V-e-r-y I-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g. --RoadDog

IF he found the Hunley in 1970, why wasn't if brought up or even known whre it was until after Cussler found it in 1995? Maybe it woulnd't be brought up in 1970 due to technology, but people would have at least known where it was for when the technology did come into play, which would have been before 1995 at any rate.

If the technology wasn't there (and I think it was since we raised the Maine in Havana Harbor), then I could see why he wouldn't want folks to know where she was because the archaelogical site would be violated by looters. However, he could have contacted a university professor like Lawrence Babits (author of Devil of a Whipping) and get Eastern Carolina University out there for free. Sure there's no glory, but the site is preserved (and besides, it's the property of the USN) and properly documented when the remains are recovered. Frankly, I'm glad the suit is dropped. It does nothing to promote the Hunley.

Back