Hunley crew wasn't using air circulation system the night sub sank ship, then vanished

Phil Gast

Private
New clue? Hunley crew wasn't using air circulation system the night Confederate submarine sank ship, then vanished. https://civil-war-picket.blogspot.com/2019/11/new-clue-hunley-crew-wasnt-using-air.html (Photo of bellows courtesy of Friends of the Hunley)

Bellows_PRECONVERVATION.JPG

It's a very nice article but a couple of things don't make sense? Comparing a WW2 sub's experience with Hunley's discounts an awful lot of differences between them. The hose found beneath a bench didn't necessarily have to be put there by human hands, did it? Ever in a car wreck? Bits and pieces end up all the heck all over the place. Couldn't a lot of factors account for that hose being where it was found?

I'm genuinely not arguing, the blast theory just makes more sense.

This is a hard puzzle to put together on exactly what happened to the crew. Amazing that the Hunley was recovered at all considering all the shipping traffic around Charleston didn't destroy it with dredging or mother nature turning it into Swiss cheese.

I personally feel that it's a national treasure considering the historical action of the crew and the sub along with being able to recover the brave men of the crew then laying them to rest. The Hunley Museum needs support to keep going, they also have some unique items in their shop. So those interested please support them and become a member.

For the honor and memory of the crew:

20180303_215650.jpg

I personally feel that it's a national treasure considering the historical action of the crew and the sub along with being able to recover the brave men of the crew then laying them to rest.

Thank you! What's always staggered me is those men climbed in there knowing it dangerous to the point two other crews were killed. I'm not very well researched on Hunley and had to go look this up when running into it while looking for men finally sent home from Gettysburg in 1870- book the ladies association responsible for Magnolia Cemetery put together. Men who died at the same time as Horace Hunley, in the ' fish torpedo boat '. I don't know why it takes your breath away seeing them but it does. Thomas Park, Joseph Patterson.

Public access source.
hunley mag names cem 6.jpg

Look at that fine model above. The blast from that large of a charge, underwater, that close to those brave men, must have taken them out. Did the designers test the idea of underwater detonation survivability before they sent the Hunley out?

In which direction was the Hunley pointed when they found her remains? If they were able to turn her around, then the blast could not have killed them instantly ... ? Or, if pointed home, could she have drifted a while and turned herself around before settling? That the crew was still sitting at their stations and the commander's watch stopped at the moment of impact is the most telling evidence. God those men were brave ...

Look at that fine model above. The blast from that large of a charge, underwater, that close to those brave men, must have taken them out. Did the designers test the idea of underwater detonation survivability before they sent the Hunley out?

In which direction was the Hunley pointed when they found her remains? If they were able to turn her around, then the blast could not have killed them instantly ... ? Or, if pointed home, could she have drifted a while and turned herself around before settling? That the crew was still sitting at their stations and the commander's watch stopped at the moment of impact is the most telling evidence. God those men were brave ...

Here's the current pdf on the archaeology when she was found:

Here's the pdf where she was built:
GSHR2005JOB hunley site.pdf

Great information but will take time to read all of it.

Attachments

• GSHR2005JOB hunley site.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
Shock wave, a water wave and a open hatch,keel blocks (weights), a broken pipe, now a snorkel device, theories keep comming don't they? How could something be "recently discovered" when scientists recovered Lt. Dixon's Gold $20.00 Coin off the floor of the Hunley almost 20 years ago?

Back