Hung at Knoxville - Ephraim Shelby Dodd 8th Texas Cavalry

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
upload_2017-10-29_15-32-58.png

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3964k.cw0426400r/
This map of Fort Sanders (Knoxville, TN) was drawn by John G Orth of Arcadia Ohio. According to his handwritten note on the back of the map, Orth enlisted in Co G 118th Ohio Infantry 8/22/1862 and mustered out with his company on 6/24/1865. In late 1863, Orth and the 118th Ohio were part of Burnside's campaign in East TN. On the back of the well executed, hand-drawn map, Orth provides a legend for features he has included and details the hanging of "E S Dodd" of the 8th Texas Cavalry.

upload_2017-10-29_15-14-56.png

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3964k.cw0426400v/
Since it's a bit difficult to read, Ill provide a transcription: "....20 Is what is knowan[sic] to be Gallows Hill. Since the commencement of the Rebellion, the plase[sic] whair[sic] union men ware[sic] hung for being Lawyal[sic] to the Government. And we have used the Same Ground & Gallows on the 8th of January [1864] to hang a Rebel Spy by the name of E. S. Dodd of Comp'y D 8th Texas Cavelry[sic], Rebel army. W. Seifried of Comp. G 118th [Ohio] Regt Witnees'd The Sene[sic] &c."

Additional Links:
  1. Ephraim Shelby Dodd's memorial at Find A Grave https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5783001
  2. A previous thread on Ephraim Shelby Dodd by @east tennessee roots which includes bio information.
  3. Ephraim Shelby Dodd's diary upon which evidence he was determined to be a spy and hung https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14391/

Last edited:

Dave Wilma

2nd Lieutenant
Huh? No the newspaper article @Dave Wilma posted says he was found guilty and sentenced to be hung on Jan 8, 1864 - which sentence was carried out as ordered, apparently after one botched attempt. :unsure:
Morning Leader (Cleveland) January 26, 1964 from Chronicling America

Attachments

Last edited:

BrianB

Private
The irony is that, on January 8, 1864, at almost exactly the same moment, federal authorities in two different states hanged two spies named Dodd - Ephraim in Tennessee and David in Arkansas.

Belle Montgomery

2nd Lieutenant
View attachment 163807

Morning Leader (Cleveland) January 26, 1964 from Chronicling America
WOW! Here I am who grew up in a Cleveland suburb and love history had never heard of the Morning Leader! Thank you! So... now I researched a bit and see The Plain Dealer bought it ...how sad...they have became such an opinionated rag that I was recently in a local drug store and they were literally giving it away! I refused it. I'll bet they don't survive the next decade.

Last edited:

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
From the Confederate Veteran, Volume 7, p. 361.

"Comrade K. F. Peddicord, Palmyra, Mo., sends a wartime clipping from the Louisville Journal, which recounts the execution of E. S. Dodd, at Knoxville, who was convicted as a spy. On the same day, David O. Dodd was hanged at Little Rock. E. S. Dodd was a member of Terry's Texas Rangers, and lived at Richmond, Ky. His last letter to his parents (father and stepmother) is copied. It is most pathetic:

Knoxville Jail, January 6, 1864
Mr. Travis Dodd, Richmond, Ky
My Dear Father:
Under far different circumstances from those by which I was surrounded when I last wrote you, I write this letter. I am under close guard, and under sentence of death, pronounced against me by a court-martial held in this city. I was captured in Sevier County while on my way to join my command with Longstreet.
After relating the story of his capture, he continues:
I was charged by the court-martial as a spy, but the charge and specifications could not be sustained; yet they have condemned me to be hung as a spy, the execution to take place the day after to-morrow. I feel prepared to meet my fate as a soldier, and firmly rely upon God's promises to save the penitent .... I am treated as kindly by the guard as could be expected. The Rev. Mr. Martin, of the Presbyterian Church, is visiting me and affording me much consolation. I feel, dear father and mother, that if I suffer the penalty to-morrow the exchange of worlds will be for the better ..... Do not grieve for me, dear parents, for I am leaving a world of sin and misery for one of perfect bliss. I can say no more.
Your loving son,
E. S. Dodd"