Howdy from Texas!

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your photos and samples of your illustrations! I look forward to your work on the 54th Massachusetts and to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!
Thanks, WJC! I am seeing if the Company of Military Historians would be interested in my Shaw study that I am producing. Whenever I finished them, I'll post them here.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

AUG

Captain
Forum Host
Howdy and welcome! Love the artwork. Though I haven't read as much into the Texas Revolution as the ACW, originally from San Antonio, I have always loved the story of the Alamo and visited many, many times while growing up there.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Hello from Michigan. I am sure you know that several of the members of the 54th were recruited in Detroit. I have often wondered if members of the Liberty Guard, a black pre war militia company in Detroit, provided some of the Detroit members of the 54th. We do have some gave sorted of the 54th here in Michigan.

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Funny that you ask. I have illustrated The Alamo from A to Z , Davy Crockett from A to Z , and The Texas Nutcracker for Pelican Publishing Company. All of which are available on www.pelicanpub.com or www.amazon.com

I am also available for commission if anyone is interested! :wink:
OOH....I need to get your autograph for some young friends of mine!

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Thank you! As I believe I stated in a previous post, Fannin's Final Moments have not been depicted accurately. Angus McBride did one for an Osprey book, but I argue a lot of the details.

I was also fortunate to portrait Fannin for three years during the Goliad Massacre reenactments. He is certainly an interesting character.
View attachment 291833
View attachment 291834
Cool! You know Andy "Weather Man" Anderson?
Hello Polloco. It is called the Cenotaph, which means empty tomb. The Texas General Land Office wants to repair it and add additional missing names (as the number of defenders increased with research since the monument went up in the 1930s). The plan is to move the Cenotaph from the center of Alamo Plaza to the front of the Menger Hotel. Not a significant distance. The idea is to bring focus to the Alamo's original layout and open the grounds to further interpretation. With the shutting down of Alamo Plaza to vehicular traffic and creating a major port of entry for tourists on the south end of the plaza, The Alamo Cenotaph will become one of the first things people see before they enter the grounds. Right now, you can hardly see the Cenotaph as it is surrounded by trees. The Alamo's Master Plan will bring much needed reverence to the site.

For more info, check out www.thealamo.org.

I support their Master Plan and made my thoughts clear when the plan passed City Council's vote 9-2 back in October. Here is what I had to say.

Surrounded by trees, indeed! I had a hard time even seeing it when we were there in September. And more visibility lends itself to more protection from being defaced...and all the other indignities visited upon it in its present location (it's dark as heck down there at night!)

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
James, would you mind if I sent these to Bruce? I'm sure he'd love to see them.
Be my guest; however, following my visit with him several years ago I sent some to him and never received a reply.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I suppose to be fair I should also post a picture of myself as a Mexican, here as an officer along with a young soldado who came with his father all the way from California and Enrique Saldana who played Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna in Alamo - The Price of Freedom.
Alamo - The Price of Freedom 001.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)