Howdy from Texas!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Mr. Dillon, could you possibly explain what is happening to the Alamo?That huge statue (I cant spell it) that they want to move possibly has 2 of my wifes uncles names on it.

luinrina

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Thank you! The first one is of the Alamo, the second is of the Lady of Loreto Chapel inside of Presidio La Bahia. Fannin's final moments had not been depicted accurately, so that is what I set out to do.
Oops! My bad. I only have some very rudimentary knowledge about the Texas Revolution, and since you were talking about the Alamo, I assumed both illustrations depicted it. Learned something new again, thanks! :smile:

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Mr. Dillon, could you possibly explain what is happening to the Alamo?That huge statue (I cant spell it) that they want to move possibly has 2 of my wifes uncles names on it.
Why, yes. The idea is to close off the Plaza to through traffic in an attempt to help stabilize the Alamo. It is literally being shaken apart. In addition, the actual grounds of the Alamo (now under the Plaza) will be set aside to help stop some of the foolishness like demonstrations (naked fur protesters) and nutcases (if you haven't seen the video of the last naked guy--who popped out from under the big trees at the Cenotaph and ran toward the Alamo...check YouTube). Right now, excavations have begun in the Long Barracks. The other plan is to eventually have the gift shop and exhibits elsewhere--to get them out of the actual grounds, and make it less a carnival atmosphere and more appropriate and open for living history and other interpretive stuff. There is also a plan to enlarge exhibit space so we can all see the Phil Collins Collection and the rest of the artifacts they have but can't show. The plan is to shift the cenotaph to make it actually MORE prominent for visitors, right in front of the Menger Hotel; that corner is always busy, and I think it's a great plan. I hope they fix Jim Bowie's alcoholic nose. As I've said many times, Dr. Richard Winders knows more than any living person about the Alamo (he may have been there :D) and if he's happy, I'm happy.

Here's a good article: https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...-the-renovations-will-look-like/273-588864095

And HERE is the master plan itself: http://www.thealamo.org/alamomasterplan/index2.html

IMO, Jerry Patterson can take his stupid placards and put 'em in a safe place where the sun don't shine.

Welcome aboard @AlamoWade from the Mid-19th Century Life forum. This forum covers everything Victorian, from how our 19th century friends celebrated holidays to how they lived their daily lives. Hope you'll stop by for a visit! The pics you shared are wonderful and welcomed by all of us. We always enjoy seeing pics of fellow members and their Civil War related travel! My husband and I spent some time in Charleston last summer too. We love it there. You're surrounded by history and great food. We enjoy both!

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Hello everyone and howdy from Texas!

My name is Wade Dillon and I am an illustrator in San Antonio, Texas. Up until last September, I worked at The Alamo for nearly eight years, giving battlefield tours and ending my time there as a Supervisor to pursue illustration.

While my historical interest lies heavily in the Texas Revolution of 1835-36, I have been reading this forum frequently as my big interest in the Civil War lies in the history of the 54th of Massachusetts Regiment and Col. Robert Gould Shaw. You can blame the film GLORY for starting me on that path. And I have enjoyed reading @James N. 's thread about his time on the GLORY set.

Last July, my wife and I road tripped from San Antonio to Charleston, South Carolina where on July 18th, we chartered a boat to Morris Island. We floated over the Battery Wagner site in water and got as close to the location on land as we possibly could. It was a truly surreal experience as we were the only ones on the island.

Here is a shot of us during our visit to Fort Sumter with Morris Island in the distance.
View attachment 291769

Here I am on Folly Island on July 17th, close to where the 54th would've camped and waited to cross over to Morris. As it had done 155 years ago, there was a thunderstorm overhead. We got back to the vehicle before the rain hit.
View attachment 291764
View attachment 291773
Next morning on Morris Island. Floating over the Battery Wagner site.
View attachment 291767
Captain David Cook of Cruisin' Charleston was our guide. If you want to get to Morris Island, I highly recommend his services! You can find him on Facebook.
View attachment 291768
Battery Wagner would've stood to my right in this photo, being underwater now.
View attachment 291765
The story of the 54th of Mass. was a story that was near and dear to my mother's heart. She was the Civil War buff whereas I was the Alamo buff. While she is no longer with is, visiting Morris and wearing her reproduction 54th kepi felt like the right thing to do in keeping memories and history alive.
View attachment 291766

I cannot wait to get back. It was a magical experience for my wife and I.

Now, I am working on a series of illustrations pertaining to the 54th of Massachusetts and hope to do one of the assault on Battery Wagner. Here are some of my latest illustrations pertaining to The Texas Revolution, The Final Stand of David Crockett and The Final Moments of James Walker Fannin Jr. Both were done in pencil, ink, and Photoshop.

View attachment 291771
View attachment 291772

My apologies in advance for the photo dump. I am excited to to join and look forward to engaging here on the forum and branching into the Civil War.

All the best,
Wade Dillon
Well done, sir! It's about time the guys at Goliad got some love! Though Fannin himself.....:nah disagree:

Hello Polloco. It is called the Cenotaph, which means empty tomb. The Texas General Land Office wants to repair it and add additional missing names (as the number of defenders increased with research since the monument went up in the 1930s). The plan is to move the Cenotaph from the center of Alamo Plaza to the front of the Menger Hotel. Not a significant distance. The idea is to bring focus to the Alamo's original layout and open the grounds to further interpretation. With the shutting down of Alamo Plaza to vehicular traffic and creating a major port of entry for tourists on the south end of the plaza, The Alamo Cenotaph will become one of the first things people see before they enter the grounds. Right now, you can hardly see the Cenotaph as it is surrounded by trees. The Alamo's Master Plan will bring much needed reverence to the site.

For more info, check out www.thealamo.org.

I support their Master Plan and made my thoughts clear when the plan passed City Council's vote 9-2 back in October. Here is what I had to say.

Well done, sir! It's about time the guys at Goliad got some love! Though Fannin himself.....:nah disagree:
Thank you! As I believe I stated in a previous post, Fannin's Final Moments have not been depicted accurately. Angus McBride did one for an Osprey book, but I argue a lot of the details.

I was also fortunate to portrait Fannin for three years during the Goliad Massacre reenactments. He is certainly an interesting character.
DSC00912_zpslea1zvbd.jpg

DSC01091_zpsu3hdsnub.jpg

...The plan is to shift the cenotaph to make it actually MORE prominent for visitors, right in front of the Menger Hotel; that corner is always busy, and I think it's a great plan. I hope they fix Jim Bowie's alcoholic nose. As I've said many times, Dr. Richard Winders knows more than any living person about the Alamo (he may have been there :D) and if he's happy, I'm happy.

Here's a good article: https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...-the-renovations-will-look-like/273-588864095

And HERE is the master plan itself: http://www.thealamo.org/alamomasterplan/index2.html
Great points, Nathan. I didn't see your post before making mine. And funny enough, Bowie's original nose fell off. What you see there is some sort of plaster from a repair job in the 1980s.

Yes, unfortunately there is a great deal of information traveling across social media, especially Facebook, regarding the Alamo's Master Plan. Please, go straight to the source.

During my eight years at the Alamo, progress was made by leaps and bounds. I am excited for what's to come.

Welcome aboard @AlamoWade from the Mid-19th Century Life forum. This forum covers everything Victorian, from how our 19th century friends celebrated holidays to how they lived their daily lives. Hope you'll stop by for a visit! The pics you shared are wonderful and welcomed by all of us. We always enjoy seeing pics of fellow members and their Civil War related travel! My husband and I spent some time in Charleston last summer too. We love it there. You're surrounded by history and great food. We enjoy both!

Thank you, Eleanor! I will check it out. And thank you for liking my Facebook page, btw!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
… As I've said many times, Dr. Richard Winders knows more than any living person about the Alamo (he may have been there :D) and if he's happy, I'm happy...
Proof that you're right, though maybe not in the guise you expected:
Bruce at Alamo.jpg

Or, maybe this was more what you had in mind, second from right:
Alamo - The Price of Freedom 002.jpg

(I'm the one first on the right; we've exchanged hats, too.)

Last edited:

WJC

Brigadier General
Welcome! Thanks for sharing your photos and samples of your illustrations! I look forward to your work on the 54th Massachusetts and to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!

Welcome from another Texan. I like your art work. Have you ever thought about illustrating children's books?
Funny that you ask. I have illustrated The Alamo from A to Z , Davy Crockett from A to Z , and The Texas Nutcracker for Pelican Publishing Company. All of which are available on www.pelicanpub.com or www.amazon.com

I am also available for commission if anyone is interested! :wink:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)