How was Pickett's Division rebuilt after Gettysburg

The division had 1,120 (this has been rounded) men left.

Pickett's Division: MG George E. Pickett
Steuart's Brigade: BG George H. Steuart (380)
Corse's Brigade: Col Arthur Herbert (370)
Hunton's Brigade: Maj. Michael P. Sessard (200)
Terry's Brigade: Maj. Maj. William W. Bentley (170)
Steuart seems to be one of the more unlucky Confederate commanders. Shocked he's still with the division at Appomattox, unlike Corse and Hunton who were captured.

Steuart seems to be one of the more unlucky Confederate commanders. Shocked he's still with the division at Appomattox, unlike Corse and Hunton who were captured.
Steuart originally had been commanding a brigade in the 2nd Corps under Jackson and Ewell but then was captured at Spotsylvania on May 12th and later that summer was released in a prisoner exchange and put in command of a brigade in Pickett's division.

Steuart originally had been commanding a brigade in the 2nd Corps under Jackson and Ewell but then was captured at Spotsylvania on May 12th and later that summer was released in a prisoner exchange and put in command of a brigade in Pickett's division.
I don't think he commanded the brigade under Jackson, think Colston was in command, but temporarily served as Division commander at Chancellorsville. Wasn't assigned until Ewell took command.

If Pickett was relieved of his division, then Steuart would just command a large 20 regiment brigade of 1,120 men.
Yeah, Longstreet's Corps probably would have been consolidated into a single division under Field, with A P Hill's Corps being used to form a new first Corps. That is, if they had broken through and gotten to Johnston and had time to settle down following the fall of Richmond.

Adding bodies to bring the division up to strength is one thing, but what about it's fighting capabilities? What training if any did the division undergo?

I believe the commander is Captain Gwin R. Cherry of the 17th Mississippi. Cherry has been a Captain from at least June 29, 1862.
I am not sure if he was leading the "division" or just the remnants of the Mississippi Brigade. May have been the ranking officer in the division...which says just how bad the situation with them was.

I am not sure if he was leading the "division" or just the remnants of the Mississippi Brigade. May have been the ranking officer in the division...which says just how bad the situation with them was.
I think Captain Cherry had command of the Mississippi Brigade and possible the ranking officer. Also do you have information on colonel Daniel N. Moody of the 21st Mississippi because I can not find out why his Ltc William H. Fitzgerald is listed as the Colonel leading the brigade on the 6th of April and was captured and replaced by Captain Cherry. Research OnLine lists Moody as a Brigadier General and
Fitzgerald as Colonel but NPS and the Civil War in the East list Moody as a colonel and Fitzgerald as Ltc.

I think Captain Cherry had command of the Mississippi Brigade and possible the ranking officer. Also do you have information on colonel Daniel N. Moody of the 21st Mississippi because I can not find out why his Ltc William H. Fitzgerald is listed as the Colonel leading the brigade on the 6th of April and was captured and replaced by Captain Cherry. Research OnLine lists Moody as a Brigadier General and
Fitzgerald as Colonel but NPS and the Civil War in the East list Moody as a colonel and Fitzgerald as Ltc.
Yeah, no record of promotion for Moody. Not sure why Humphreys wasn't there though.

The organization of the three brigades which had been at Gettysburg, each with five regiments, remained intact. These were all Virginia units, so being stationed in Virginia facilitated the replenishment of the regiments.
Obviously it was easier for local VA units to rebuild some semblance of their original strength following Gettysburg. In the case of units from more distant states, it was much more difficult. In the case of Davis's depleted brigade of Heth's Division, it added two units from the Western Theater...the 26th Mississippi and the 1st Confederate Battalion...to the original brigade: 2nd, 11th, 42nd MS and 55th NC. Even then the brigade's strength never approached the 2300 or so men it carried into Gettysburg. By the time of the Wilderness, it was only up to some 1600+ effectives, even with the addition of the two new units.

Back