How was ammunition stored at sea during the Civil War period?

S

SeaTurtle

There's a thread on this forum about how soldiers kept their firearms and cartridges dry in the rain, and it got me wondering about the naval side of that issue. What methods were used at sea to store powder/shot and prevent moisture from ruining the ammunition supplies? This isn't a question about where on a vessel they were stored (I know what a powder magazine is :wink: ) but specifically what sort of waterproofing methods they used back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a thread on this forum about how soldiers kept their firearms and cartridges dry in the rain, and it got me wondering about the naval side of that issue. What methods were used at sea to store powder/shot and prevent moisture from ruining the ammunition supplies? This isn't a question about where on a vessel they were stored (I know what a powder magazine is :wink: ) but specifically what sort of waterproofing methods they used back then.
Some examples of protections against moisture and corrosion of ordnance:

From the Navy's ordnance regulations, Small arms preservation:
1624722652671.png

and for the great guns...

1624721956171.png

1624722035545.png

Here's a link to the US Navy's 1860 Ordnance Instructions, with a great deal of detail on the subject.

USN Ordnance Instructions, 1860...link

The Navy's general regulations mention that "Gunners" were charged with,
1624722889642.png

and,
1624723453625.png

and they were aided by the Gunner's mates, etc. in attending to the above.
Navy General regulations, 1865:
Navy Regulations, 1865

J.Marshall,
Hernando, FL

Back