How to Smell Like Scarlett O'Hara

s-l1000.jpg

Pinterest
We know roses have been around for centuries because there has been physical evidence found in Egyptian tombs in the form of wreaths. Cleopatra, a documented lover of roses, was rumored to have filled the floors of entire rooms with rose petals. Stories recount the sails of her barge being sprayed with rosewater so the scent of roses would announce her presence.

Well our Victorian ladies were lovers of rosewater too. They frequently used it as a beauty product and fragrance. Rosewater possesses astringent properties, which leave your face refreshed and clean. And when rose petals are distilled, they create a light, floral scent that is subtle, yet quite appealing.

Rosewater has regained some of its popularity in recent years and can be bought online and at a variety of shops. However, I fancy myself making my own like my Victorian friends would have done so I thought I would share my “recipe.” Hope you like this @grace and @Yankee Brooke!

1 Gather 30 to 35 rose fragrant petals. Make sure the roses aren’t past their prime.

2 Place the petals in a cup and pour water (room temperature) over them. Let them sit for five to ten minutes.

3 Strain the water out, but leave the rose petals behind.

4 Move the moist rose petals into a sturdy bowl and mash them a lot.

5 Pour water over the mashed rose petals and strain out any moisture. Keep repeating this step until the water turns a brownish-pinkish-orangey color. If you are use deep red rose petals, repeat this process until the water is brownish-red.

6 Remove the remnants of the rose petals and pour your rosewater into a bottle with an airtight stopper. Enjoy your rosewater perfume!

* I like to add half of a tablespoon of vanilla flavoring to my perfume.

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 46
Ellie. Thanks for sharing this interesting information. With regards to roses, I have some Harrisburg, Pennsylvania history to share with you. J. Horace McFarland and Myra Lloyd Dock, who was the first woman to gain employment and hold a job in any Pennsylvania Government department, both created the "City Beautiful Movement Project" in Harrisburg at the turn of the twentieth century. As a result of there efforts, the city of Harrisburg was transformed into a modern day city with paved streets and numerous parks created throughout the city as well as the Harrisburg Community Gardens which runs along the entire length of North Front Street. The trees and flowers, especially roses located along this park were grown by McFarland who became the world's foremost authority on roses. The flowers were grown in greenhouses designed by McFarland on present day City Island which was known as McCormick's Island in McFarland's day. McFarland's idea was supported by Teddy Roosevelt who as President of the United States visited Harrisburg to commemorate the new capital building just designed and built by Joseph Huston after a fire destroyed the old building. Roosevelt loved the view along the Susquehanna River and enjoyed the gardens located along the river. He wanted McFarland to take this beautification idea across the United States which he did and with the assistance of John Muir created the first National Park as well as the National Park Service. McFarland wrote several books on rose gardens and created several rose affiliated groups, such as the American Rose Society. I gathered numerous resources on McFarland and Dock for one of my very important work related real estate projects for the local hospital which is located along the Susquehanna River and North Front Street in the City of Harrisburg. My efforts saved the hospital and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania millions of dollars in ligation fees and costs. David.

Ellie. Thanks for sharing this interesting information. With regards to roses, I have some Harrisburg, Pennsylvania history to share with you. J. Horace McFarland and Myra Lloyd Dock, who was the first woman to gain employment and hold a job in any Pennsylvania Government department, both created the "City Beautiful Movement Project" in Harrisburg at the turn of the twentieth century. As a result of there efforts, the city of Harrisburg was transformed into a modern day city with paved streets and numerous parks created throughout the city as well as the Harrisburg Community Gardens which runs along the entire length of North Front Street. The trees and flowers, especially roses located along this park were grown by McFarland who became the world's foremost authority on roses. The flowers were grown in greenhouses designed by McFarland on present day City Island which was known as McCormick's Island in McFarland's day. McFarland's idea was supported by Teddy Roosevelt who as President of the United States visited Harrisburg to commemorate the new capital building just designed and built by Joseph Huston after a fire destroyed the old building. Roosevelt loved the view along the Susquehanna River and enjoyed the gardens located along the river. He wanted McFarland to take this beautification idea across the United States which he did and with the assistance of John Muir created the first National Park as well as the National Park Service. McFarland wrote several books on rose gardens and created several rose affiliated groups, such as the American Rose Society. I gathered numerous resources on McFarland and Dock for one of my very important work related real estate projects for the local hospital which is located along the Susquehanna River and North Front Street in the City of Harrisburg. My efforts saved the hospital and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania millions of dollars in ligation fees and costs. David.

This is fascinating David. Thanks for sharing! I would enjoy learning more about J. Horace McFarland and Myra Lloyd Dock. The Susquehanna River in Harrisburg is lovely. I enjoyed walking along the river when I was there a couple of years ago. We had dinner on the porch at Char's Tracy Mansion and enjoyed the view immensely. It's a shame I didn't know you then. Congratulations on your successful efforts on behalf of the hospital and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Your work sounds fascinating.

This is fascinating David. Thanks for sharing! I would enjoy learning more about J. Horace McFarland and Myra Lloyd Dock. The Susquehanna River in Harrisburg is lovely. I enjoyed walking along the river when I was there a couple of years ago. We had dinner on the porch at Char's Tracy Mansion and enjoyed the view immensely. It's a shame I didn't know you then. Congratulations on your successful efforts on behalf of the hospital and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Your work sounds fascinating.
Ellie. I am one of those individuals who can honestly say that I really enjoy my work. I absolutely love it! I have done the same thing for thirty years and do not have any regrets. I too am sorry that we did not know one another when you and Doug visited Harrisburg. By the way, the Char Mansion Restaurant is absolutely wonderful with great food and service. When you and Doug pass this way again you let me know and I will entertain both of you. David.

Oooooh, I love roses! I usually try to buy "rose" scented hygiene products. My current deodorant is Secret: Paris Rose, though I'm almost out and I bought something else since the store was out today... body wash too, though I'm disappointed in this current one.

It would be nice to smell nicer and less "artificial," so I'll try this. Any tips on where to get rose petals that are fresh enough?

Lots of places sell petals - Costco, Sam's Club, etc. The problem is most places sell them in bulk. Usually I just buy a few roses at the grocery store and pluck them. It's kind of sad plucking the petals, but it's for a good cause. :smile:

I'll have to look around next time i'm at the store. Maybe a small bag, or else I can just pick up a few loose ones. :smile:

s-l1000.jpg

Pinterest
We know roses have been around for centuries because there has been physical evidence found in Egyptian tombs in the form of wreaths. Cleopatra, a documented lover of roses, was rumored to have filled the floors of entire rooms with rose petals. Stories recount the sails of her barge being sprayed with rosewater so the scent of roses would announce her presence.

Well our Victorian ladies were lovers of rosewater too. They frequently used it as a beauty product and fragrance. Rosewater possesses astringent properties, which leave your face refreshed and clean. And when rose petals are distilled, they create a light, floral scent that is subtle, yet quite appealing.

Rosewater has regained some of its popularity in recent years and can be bought online and at a variety of shops. However, I fancy myself making my own like my Victorian friends would have done so I thought I would share my “recipe.” Hope you like this @grace and @Yankee Brooke!

1 Gather 30 to 35 rose fragrant petals. Make sure the roses aren’t past their prime.

2 Place the petals in a cup and pour water (room temperature) over them. Let them sit for five to ten minutes.

3 Strain the water out, but leave the rose petals behind.

4 Move the moist rose petals into a sturdy bowl and mash them a lot.

5 Pour water over the mashed rose petals and strain out any moisture. Keep repeating this step until the water turns a brownish-pinkish-orangey color. If you are use deep red rose petals, repeat this process until the water is brownish-red.

6 Remove the remnants of the rose petals and pour your rosewater into a bottle with an airtight stopper. Enjoy your rosewater perfume!

* I like to add half of a tablespoon of vanilla flavoring to my perfume.
Lots of culinary recipes especially in the Mediterranean use rosewater too.
31SV66VM2RL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PN3UYOQ/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 31SV66VM2RL.jpg
    31SV66VM2RL.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 37
I'll have to look around next time i'm at the store. Maybe a small bag, or else I can just pick up a few loose ones. :smile:
We'll have to catch the post-Valentine's Day sale next year. :D

I need to bring some rosewater to our reenactments, especially in hot weather :eek: :speechless:
I have lavender sachets for you. Stick one under each arm, and you'll smell like blossoms, I'm sure.

Back