ENDED How to sell a musket

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap10inwa

Cadet
Thanks for letting me join. I have a question. After 15 years of being a CW re-enactor out here in the Pacific Northwest, I’m slowly liquidating some of my gear. I have a superb .69 cal. Springfield I wish to sell. Is there a venue I may list it on? I know fb will not allow this since it’s considered a “weapon”. eBay, Amazon, other sites, allow this? Im not sure if it can be sold via the internet even though it’s a reproduction of an historical musket. I’d rather sell it to another re-enactor or avid CW fan who will appreciate and maintain it. Are there any CW trading sites? Thanks

I'm sure you'll receive a well-informed answer very shortly. I'm sorry I can help you.

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. We have a classified section right here, you can find it in the Reenactors Forum. Some of the sutlers will also buy used guns to resell, I know Lodgewood and Regimental Quartermaster do.

Did you see the sticky at the top of this forum?

The North South Skirmish Association is the largest LIVE fire group in the country of Civil War era weapons.

Thanks for letting me join. I have a question. After 15 years of being a CW re-enactor out here in the Pacific Northwest, I’m slowly liquidating some of my gear. I have a superb .69 cal. Springfield I wish to sell. Is there a venue I may list it on? I know fb will not allow this since it’s considered a “weapon”. eBay, Amazon, other sites, allow this? Im not sure if it can be sold via the internet even though it’s a reproduction of an historical musket. I’d rather sell it to another re-enactor or avid CW fan who will appreciate and maintain it. Are there any CW trading sites? Thanks
If you are officially selling it,I can edit the thread title and add the "For Sale" prefix to it.

Good question.
My brother-in-law was helping a widow sell her husband's guns. Most of the rifles were rusty and in bad shape but one was a pristine, probably un-fired, .58 caliber Zouave rifle. I helped him get the word out to some reenactors and someone decided it was a good deal for the price even though he wouldn't use it for reenacting.

I recently bought a black powder Boot Pistol through a contact on MarkerPlace on FaceBook. His original post was asking for info. I think he got scared to actually say he was "selling it" using FB. Through our follow-up IM's, I told him I would buy it. Turns out the pistol was an original pre-War pistol.
See my thread-- "Got a "new" Pistol: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/got-a-new-pistol.156073/

I know the laws seem to say it is okay to sale BP weapons on your own but I'm always looking over my shoulder when I try.

Good question.
My brother-in-law was helping a widow sell her husband's guns. Most of the rifles were rusty and in bad shape but one was a pristine, probably un-fired, .58 caliber Zouave rifle. I helped him get the word out to some reenactors and someone decided it was a good deal for the price even though he wouldn't use it for reenacting.

I recently bought a black powder Boot Pistol through a contact on MarkerPlace on FaceBook. His original post was asking for info. I think he got scared to actually say he was "selling it" using FB. Through our follow-up IM's, I told him I would buy it. Turns out the pistol was an original pre-War pistol.
See my thread-- "Got a "new" Pistol: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/got-a-new-pistol.156073/

I know the laws seem to say it is okay to sale BP weapons on your own but I'm always looking over my shoulder when I try.
Selling BP guns is fine in most states. Most states consider even reproduction guns, models before 1898 I believe, antiques not firearms. The exceptions as far as I know are NJ, Illinois, and possibly California, not sure about Cal but wouldn't surprise me. In those states you must go through a FFL dealer to sell them.

You can try gunbroker.com. It is exactly like ebay except that it is primarily for firearms and related items. Like ebay, there is a percentage fee based on the sale price, I think 8 percent if I remember correctly.
If you list it on armslist.com, it is completely free but if you want to ship it, there is not much recourse if one of the parties doesn't come through, so payment has to be based on trust....very difficult. It is actually meant for local buyers who you can meet personally.

[Q
Springfield 1847 .69 cal rifled musket. I would say excellent condition but it has a few minor dings in the stock. Been live fired three times, nothing else. Used as “museum piece”; either hangs on my wall or presented at CW re-enactments for viewing. Comes with scabbard, bayonet, canvass gun sock (fleeced lined) and metal gun box appropriate for air travel. I am slowly liquidating my gear after 15 years of re-enacting and living history. I purchased this item from my mentor before he passed away 5 years ago. More pictures available upon request. $1200.

What model is it? Is it smooth bore or rifled?[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back