Tell me more! How to preserve a leather ammo pouch?

damYankee

1st Lieutenant
I have a Union ammunition pouch that in original condition, but is deteriorating, it has some white residue forming on it.
The brass US badge is missing and the stitching has failed in some areas.
How should I maintain it, and should I have the stitching repaired?

ikesdad

First Sergeant
I use either jojoba oil or lanolin on all of my leather goods, however none are as old as yours.
Both have anti mold properties. Do not use neatsfoot as it will cause the stitching to rot.

Package4

1st Lieutenant
I have a Union ammunition pouch that in original condition, but is deteriorating, it has some white residue forming on it.
The brass US badge is missing and the stitching has failed in some areas.
How should I maintain it, and should I have the stitching repaired?
I would just wipe it down for now, using a damp cloth, you can do more permanent damage using oil, than nothing at all. I will look and post later, but there are processes that museums use to stabilize their artifacts.

The collecting community has gone from one cure to another, over the years, leaving behind many permanently damaged leather goods. The latest was Pecards leather dressing, which does preserve, but leaves the artifact in a very undesirable condition.

Always remember less is more......

Ralph Heinz

Corporal
Trying to restitch old leather is not generally an option as leather that old will often cause the original stitching holes to break open when a needle goes through the old holes. It takes special needles for leather and cotton thread of the same diameter as the originals and first the old stitching needs to be carefully removed. It is basically a museum restoration and not worth doing on something as common as a cartridge box. There are very few hobbiests capable of doing this. It is very common for the original thread to be fragile and to break apart easily. A poor job of resewing looks worse than an open seam.

Package4

1st Lieutenant