Ammo How to measure cannon balls that are not in your possession?

More expensive, but something to shoot for (no pun intended)
Someone wiser than me once said, “The poor man pays twice.” It’s not a swipe at those less fortunate. It means that sometimes it makes sense to spend a little more money on quality; in this case a real, verified artifact. If you get a fake, you’ll still want the real thing and you’ll have to scrounge up even more money to buy it. Save your money, be patient (which I was not at 17!), and get a good one. You’ll treasure it enough that it will be worth the effort.

14697.jpg

I, along with a lil' bit of chip in money from family, can afford this nose section - $149. I'm also considering that 12# solid shot @alan polk provided in the link.

Just a side note, how big around is a 12 pounder spherical shot on a ruler? 4 1/2? 4 1/4?

@Ethan S., if you could calculate your willingness to purchase these fine items, and tell me how many buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken you need to forfeit, I may grasp better the predicament. Thank you,
Lubliner.

@Ethan S., if you could calculate your willingness to purchase these fine items, and tell me how many buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken you need to forfeit, I may grasp better the predicament. Thank you,
Lubliner.
Well this is kind of a birthday/Christmas thing. I alone cannot purchase a shell without breaking my personal budget, so my mom and dad (grandma's too) would need to help with $25 each or something. What kind of seasoning would you like on your chicken? :smile:

I make my money mowing a neighbors grass when he's not home, and by selling bottles. I'm about 17 now. Want a bottle? :smile:

Some tangential advice, having once been where you are now -

While your enthusiasm is commendable, don't be in a rush to acquire "stuff". Bank what you can and use your discretionary capital to enjoy the company of others. Memories of good times far outweighs things that gather dust.

Self-educate and be patient*, as the deal-deals will come along in due course during the span of your life.

You might find more satisfaction in finding your own relics. Join one of them-there metal detecting clubs and learn, since education from old guys is irreplaceable.

* That Cross in your avatar - go (re?)read what the Scriptures have to say about 'patience'.

Some tangential advice, having once been where you are now -

While your enthusiasm is commendable, don't be in a rush to acquire "stuff". Bank what you can and use your discretionary capital to enjoy the company of others. Memories of good times far outweighs things that gather dust.

Self-educate and be patient*, as the deal-deals will come along in due course during the span of your life.

You might find more satisfaction in finding your own relics. Join one of them-there metal detecting clubs and learn, since education from old guys is irreplaceable.

* That Cross in your avatar - go (re?)read what the Scriptures have to say about 'patience'.
I have found a few relics in Virginia, and there is no feeling quite like it. I've also dug two relics in my Kentucky front yard as well. I hear what you're saying about patience, and it is something I should practice.

By the way, the cross is from the flag of the Orphan Brigade, C.S.A. I do read the bible as well, so technically you weren't far off.

Back