Ammo How to measure cannon balls that are not in your possession?

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
I would really really really really (okay, you get it) really love to have a spherical solid shot soon, and I can afford some of the ones seen here. The problem is, I'm trying to learn which ball went to what, i.e grapeshot or actual projectile fired out of a smooth bore rifle. I'm TERRIBLE at math (ask anybody) and I'm getting confused by referring to charts and stuff, so could a few of you guys take a look at these, and give me your best educated guess as to what they are?

P.S. The reason I post this here, and not just ask the seller is because I thought it would be helpful to others to see the answers.

The most common would be a 6 pound shot and that would be 3.58" in diameter and the 12 pound shot and that would be 4.52" in diameter . There is no such thing as a smooth bore rifle so I assume you are asking about smooth bores since you indicated solid spherical shot . The use of grape shot on the battlefield was quite rare . Although you often hear soldiers referring to "Grape" , they are almost always speaking of cannister .

I would be wary . At least a couple of items have problems . #15574 is listed as a 1 1/2" iron cannon ball . It would actually be a cannister round . Also #4151 is listed as a 1 1/8" grape shot . Generally speaking cannister rounds were around 1 1/2' or less. Grape was larger in diameter not less. Several other issues with the descriptions .

The most common would be a 6 pound shot and that would be 3.58" in diameter and the 12 pound shot and that would be 4.52" in diameter . There is no such thing as a smooth bore rifle so I assume you are asking about smooth bores since you indicated solid spherical shot . The use of grape shot on the battlefield was quite rare . Although you often hear soldiers referring to "Grape" , they are almost always speaking of cannister .

By rifle I meant gun, or cannon. So, bad at math here, is 3.58 or 4.52 close to the measurements in the link? I think the 4.52 inch one is close.

@Kurt G when you are talking about diameter of the shot, aren't you really talking about the diameter of the barrel? Or is cannon shot measured in pounds, like a 6 lb shot or 12 lb shot or 12 lb parrott or 32 lb parrott?

Is there any other place where I can get solid shot for less than $150? Everything is so expensive these days.
I would stay away from anything that didn't have a fuse hole it.
1568246417608.png

I would pass , but hopefully some experts will reply .
@Kurt G when you are talking about diameter of the shot, aren't you really talking about the diameter of the barrel? Or is cannon shot measured in pounds, like a 6 lb shot or 12 lb shot or 12 lb parrott or 32 lb parrott?
Both . A 12 pound smoothbore would have a bore diameter of 3.67 " and would fire a round shot of about 3.58".

Yes it would be the bore diameter. The 6lb 12lb are just easier ways to say it and beside the 6lb case shot weights 5lb

#15606 says it is a 3" solid cannonball . It could be an individual grapeshot . # 15632 says it is 4 1/4" and claims because of its size it must be from a naval cannon or siege cannon . This is wrong as well .

I'm probably being too logical here, but why not call it 5lb shot?:O o:
I know that it can be confusing but anytime you read about a 6 or 12 or 24 or 32 pounder it means that the bore diameter allows the gun to fire a solid round ball of the described weight . Other types of rounds such as case shot or cannister would not weigh the same but would have a diameter allowing it to be fired from the gun.

That's what sucks. I can't afford anything with a fuse hole. I'll keep looking then.
Believe it or not the prices on many Civil War items have dropped over the past several years . That doesn't make them cheap though. The items I have purchased over the years have come from The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg . They tend to be more expensive but they have a good reputation .

Believe it or not the prices on many Civil War items have dropped over the past several years . That doesn't make them cheap though. The items I have purchased over the years have come from The Horse Soldier in Gettysburg . They tend to be more expensive but they have a good reputation .

I make my money mowing a neighbors grass when he's not home, and by selling bottles. I'm about 17 now. Want a bottle? :smile:

Back