How to find your Civil War heritage

Robert E Lee 1

Private
I'm looking to join the Sons of Confederate Veterens which if anyone is in it i have some questions but I went to www.findagrave.com and put in the search one of my most recently deceased relatives and it shows their siblings and parents and they lead to their spouses and children and that's how I found the Confederate soldier I needed just browsing through distant family through my known kin and then tracing the veteran back to me or an older relative like my great grandmother.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Taylin

Corporal
It must be noted that Find a Grave is a volunteer site and is subject to error, you'll want to double check via historical records (Ancestry.com for example.) If you don't have access you could contact a local SCV camp and I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out, or you could provide information relating to your ancestors (Name, birth/death, residence and familial relations) and a member here could assist you

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
Taylin has great advice. You can join a Camp in a "Legionnaire" status, paying reduced dues. They will assist you with your search.
Really? When I began my research into a family ancestor who served in the Confederate army I contacted the SCV chapter nearby the veteran's 1860s home and the NC state SCV to see what sort of assistance might be available. All of my inquiries were ignored.

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Yeah there are several members here who will probably be able to help you, though your local chapter would also be a good contact point.

The national organization might be able to help you too:
http://www.scv.org/new/link-your-camp-website/research/genealogy-assistance-2/

I agree with @Taylin that findagrave, though useful in its own way, is probably not going to be enough for this, and you will need more extensive documentation of your relationship to that ancestor, as well as his Civil War service. All just my conjecture, though. Double check with people who actually know. :smile:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!