Grant How the Mexican-American War Inspired President Ulysses S. Grant

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
How the Mexican-American War Inspired President Ulysses S. Grant
by Arturo Conde

President's Day is often described as a day of remembrance, a holiday when everyday Americans could reimagine themselves inside the Oval Office and look back at the country's most pivotal political moments through the eyes of the president of the United States. So we sat down with bestselling and award-winning presidential biographer Ronald C. White to discuss one of America's most influential presidents — Ulysses S. Grant — whose passion to defend African-American and Native American rights was partially inspired by his close relationship with Mexico.

More: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...ar-inspired-president-ulysses-s-grant-n723296

According to two bios I have read, Grant came back from Mexico with two lessons, the pattern of leadership established by Zachary Taylor and the details and importance of logistics. Taylor was very informal in dress and behavior and engaged his soldiers personally. Grant did everything from finding mules and wranglers to building a bakery while taking time to be breveted for bravery twice.

According to two bios I have read, Grant came back from Mexico with two lessons, the pattern of leadership established by Zachary Taylor and the details and importance of logistics. Taylor was very informal in dress and behavior and engaged his soldiers personally. Grant did everything from finding mules and wranglers to building a bakery while taking time to be breveted for bravery twice.

I have read a lot about Winfield Scott and his influence on Civil War generals. Obviously Lee and I would suppose McClellan were basically Scott disciples. I have often wondered about Taylor. It seems like he might have had a similar impact on future commanders. Certainly Grant. This was a question that came to mind as I read Searching For Meade. I wonder if anyone else has ever considered this?

I have read a lot about Winfield Scott and his influence on Civil War generals. Obviously Lee and I would suppose McClellan were basically Scott disciples. I have often wondered about Taylor. It seems like he might have had a similar impact on future commanders. Certainly Grant. This was a question that came to mind as I read Searching For Meade. I wonder if anyone else has ever considered this?
Oh, yes, Grant even said how much he admired Taylor, and every biographer I've seen talks about how much Grant modeled himself after Taylor.

From the article at the link:

Grant supporters say that the president's failed annexation of Santo Domingo (present-day Dominican Republic) in 1870 — defeated by the U.S. Senate — aimed to compel Brazil, Puerto Rico and Cuba to end slavery.
I'd never heard the part about trying to influence Brazil, P.R. and Cuba to end slavery. (Makes me curious to find out more.) But I do know what Grant himself said about Santo Domingo in his memoirs. He was dismayed about all the abuse and exploitation of African-American workers after the war. He believed that having Santo Domingo as a state that they could freely immigrate to might give them more leverage in bargaining with landowners who were often their former masters -- i.e., pay us a decent living or we'll leave; in this way, it would raise the value of their labor and thereby improve their pay and their treatment by white Southerners. Grant also thought African-Americans might be happier and perhaps have a better chance at making their way forward in Santo Domingo, which would be a majority-black state. Finally, Grant thought the U.S. as a whole would benefit economically and militarily from having a port on the Caribbean.

Beautiful article. I'm intrigued that White believes that empathy defined Grant's character. I have long thought that myself, but it's rare to see it expressed anywhere else -- especially by such a noted author. I'm definitely going to have to read White's book!

I would just add, on the topic of Mexico, that Grant simply loved the land and people of Mexico. He thought the common people were very ill-used by their military leaders as well as by their political leaders and the Catholic clergy. During "down times," Grant made friends with some of the locals, went exploring, and even, according to Geoffrey Perret, learned to identify some 200 species of birds down there. (Since I'm a birdwatcher myself, I love this last little tidbit, but since I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else but in Perret's book, I'm a little skeptical -- although it's true that, back in those days, many rough, tough men, such as Sherman and Stonewall, were avid naturalists, though they wouldn't have thought of describing themselves with that term.)

Grant, like Lincoln, was deeply opposed to the French occupation of Mexico, and supported the Mexican nationalist and eventual liberator Benito Juárez:

After the end of the war, in an effort to help Juárez, Grant sent Gen. Philip Sheridan to the Rio Grande with an army of 50,000 men. Since Secretary of State William H. Seward did not want a war with Mexico or the French, he persuaded President Andrew Johnson to issue a ban on exports of weapons and ammunition. But Grant secretly ordered Sheridan to supply Juárez with matériel and weapons, including about 30,000 rifles.​

Andy, are you reading Searching for George Gordon Meade? Isn't that a wonderful book? It gives dear Meade the credit he deserves!!

Yes, finished it a couple weeks ago. Really good book & the Searching for Meade blog is good as well. That got me to thinking that he served with Taylor and admired Taylor, it seems like Taylor might have been something of a role model for him as well.

I have often wondered how much surplus equipment got "lost" in Texas after the war.
Seward may have not wanted a war, but Grant would not have mind putting ex-Confederates to work fighting the French.
He hated Napolean III.

Seward may have not wanted a war, but Grant would not have mind putting ex-Confederates to work fighting the French.
He hated Napolean III.
I doubt very much that Grant was in a hurry to rearm Confederates. He had plenty of Union troops at his disposal and did not need them. Johnson tried to send Grant to Mexico on a diplomatic to get him out of his way, but Grant refused. Grant was focused on reconstruction, reconciliation, and justice for the Freedman.

I have often wondered how much surplus equipment got "lost" in Texas after the war.
Given the ethics among government contractors and contracting officers it is safe to say that if they surplus equipment was worth anything it went into greedy hands. I question the worth of anything manufactured for the Union during the war. That was the origin of the term "shoddy."

I don't think Johnson v Grant was connected to Mexico, in any way.
Andrew Johnson was thinking of re-uniting the Democratic party and running for President.
Grant was committed that his soldiers did not fight and die so that a Tennessee version of James Buchanan could become president.
Johnson was probably hoping that Grant would never return from Mexico.

Back