Lee How should we celebrate Robert E. Lee's Birthday at CWT??

Do you have books about ACW translated in Germany? Or is there books in English in libraries or bookshops? In Finland situation was bad for me, until recently when I gained access to university´s library. There is some, and I even proposed Longstreet memoirs for purchase, to even things a bit :wink: But its all in English, have to settle with that.
But from what you post English is absolutely no problem for you, is it?
Yes there are a few book translated in German, e.g. MacPherson's Battle cry for freedom, but I prefere to read them in English and thanks to amazon and www.archive.org this is no problem. It's a nice way to practice my English.

Just reading Grants memoirs, and what still moves me is that in hour of surrender, Lee many times humbly plead for his men. Asks for food, promise for non-officers to take their horses and mules with them. So one topic that would be nice is something like "Lee and his boys"

For anyone who might have missed it, here is the most evocative photo we've seen in a long time of the Virginia Monument at Gettysburg. (Number 2 in this thread: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/september-2013-photo-contest-now-open-to-entries.88251/) The photographer has wonderfully captured Lee's "boys," inspired by their commander above.

I think someone should get together a list of his influence on society over the last 150 years- doesn't matter if it would be a particular part of it, still things we all see every day, roads you'd drive down, whatever would have been named for him, the far-reaching effects of this man on our culture. I'm not sure how it'd be done, but the fact remains he's a hugely recognizable name all these years later for a reason, do not see that fading with the years. In an increasingly History poor society like ours, that's ' something ', and it's a disservice to him to write it off, be resentful of the entire perspective as ' can't go there, must be about archaic mindsets '. Think it's a lot about an unusual guy.

I like all the ideas expressed here INCLUDING expanding to honor Stonewall just 2 days later. I've often wondered; how do you all celebrate the birthday(s) of these great men in your own lives?

In answer to my own question, one thing I try to do round this time of year is dig out all my DVDs re the Civil War where Lee is prominent; the Ken Burns special, of course "Gods and Generals" and "Gettysburg".... Don't always get them all watched, but still....

And now that someone has posted that "Stonewall's" birthday is just a few days later, I'll start looking for other ways to honor him as well. Fortunately, he plays pretty prominently in "God's and Generals" so that's a "twofer."

In answer to my own question, one thing I try to do round this time of year is dig out all my DVDs re the Civil War where Lee is prominent; the Ken Burns special, of course "Gods and Generals" and "Gettysburg".... Don't always get them all watched, but still....
So you mean to sit for about 15 hours in front of the TV, eating Robert E. Lee cake? Enjoy!:sleep:

Oh! I also try to listen to "Dixie" or whistle "Dixie" some during this weekend as well.
... and of course “Bonnie Blue Flag“!

But in earnest: there are two words that come instantly to my mind when thinking of Robert E. Lee: “dignity“ and “respect“.
We could try to see the dignity in each other and treat others with more respect than we normally do. And admit defeat if necessary although we would rather keep up struggling for a lost cause.

Texans Unite!

Since we are makin plans for R.E.Lee's birthday, all Texans should be aware of the fact that June 29th is John Bell Hood's birthday. Let's celebrate all summer long. Muster the Texas Brigade, and start an annual John B. Hood Birthday Bash! continue this until all our favorite CW (that's right Union too) heros are properly feted! Sounds like fun!

Texans Unite!

Since we are makin plans for R.E.Lee's birthday, all Texans should be aware of the fact that June 29th is John Bell Hood's birthday. Let's celebrate all summer long. Muster the Texas Brigade, and start an annual John B. Hood Birthday Bash! continue this until all our favorite CW (that's right Union too) heros are properly feted! Sounds like fun!
Hear, hear!!! I'm in. :dance: :thumbsup:

Texans Unite!

Actually, they do have a summer muster. :smile:

Texans Unite!

Can I be an honorary Texan for the occasion?

I presume there'll be a special dispensation for me for the occasion, as well... having been born on a military base in Texas, Fort Hood, no less. As an added inducement, I'll also note that I have photographic evidence of my visiting the Alamo before I was even born. :smile: Well... technically, it's a photo of my mom, but I'm with her.

Back