How old is this US Cavalry Bit?

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I'm asking for a friend. I just saw it yesterday at her house. Her father gave it to her 60-years-ago. She thinks it is from the Civil War, I'm more doubtful but can't tell you why. Unfortunately, she put black rustoleum on the bit "to make it look better" years ago. The bridle pieces for the headband came with the bit when her father gave it to her. Any idea on those? I've never seen anything like them.

IMG_4856.JPG
IMG_4856.JPG
IMG_4857.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG
IMG_4859.JPG
IMG_4861.JPG

Cool. Trying to figure out the configuration of this bit. I get the horizontal slot at the top where the headstall goes; and the round hole for the curb chain hook; and the slobber bar; and the rings on the bottom of the shanks for the reins. But what is the vertical slot in the purchase for? I've never seen one with a slotted purchase. Is that center "dot" cast into the brass bit boss - between the U and the S? And dont the rivets used to attach the boss to the bit look more "humped up" than they're supposed to be? Here's a link to Harry Ridgeway's Relicman page with bits. http://www.relicman.com/miscellaneous/zArchiveCavalryBridleBit&Rosette.htm

Are the rosettes brass or nickle silver? They're gorgeous - whether original or not.
Paging @EJ Zander @Package4 @Frederick14Va

Last edited:
I've never seen one with a slotted purchase. I

I'm not a blacksmith, wondering if it just took some weight out of what seems a ton of metal? Those things look awfully heavy, they may have tried to lighten it as much as possible?

If it's not ACW, maybe WW1? There's something about the US that looks later, can't put my finger on it. Guessing various bits were used, little tough getting a read on these, ACW images blown up.

cav tack.jpg

cav tack2.jpg

cav tack 3.jpg

Not much help with long shanks and double bridles. Here is some pics of bits. Dont see the vertical on those. Design changed by WW1. Those long shanks being used by new hard hands always make me cringe. Man that is alot of leverage. Warm my bits by hand before use as a courtesy to the horse. Id have to put that bit by the fire.
M1863
1859 artillery bit
M1909
1575718717403.png

Not much help with long shanks and double bridles. Here is some pics of bits. Dont see the vertical on those. Design changed by WW1. Those long shanks being used by new hard hands always make me cringe. Man that is alot of leverage. Warm my bits by hand before use as a courtesy to the horse. Id have to put that bit by the fire.
M1863
1859 artillery bit
M1909
View attachment 337481
I carry my tack to the barn, so the bit is already warm from the car. And I agree with you on the size of the bit..eep! Guess they weren’t taking any chances on the horse taking the bit in their teeth and bolding..or getting their tongue over...

I'm not a blacksmith, wondering if it just took some weight out of what seems a ton of metal? Those things look awfully heavy, they may have tried to lighten it as much as possible?

If it's not ACW, maybe WW1? There's something about the US that looks later, can't put my finger on it. Guessing various bits were used, little tough getting a read on these, ACW images blown up.

View attachment 337476

View attachment 337477

View attachment 337475
Great shots! And Ill take the horse in first pic please.

I carry my tack to the barn, so the bit is already warm from the car. And I agree with you on the size of the bit..eep! Guess they weren’t taking any chances on the horse taking the bit in their teeth and bolding..or getting their tongue over...
Nice! Thinking a little warm bit courtesy pays dividends when you try to insert that bit the next time. Dont want to derail this thread but ever try the copper blend bits? Mine never really cared either way.

I'm asking for a friend. I just saw it yesterday at her house. Her father gave it to her 60-years-ago. She thinks it is from the Civil War, I'm more doubtful but can't tell you why. Unfortunately, she put black rustoleum on the bit "to make it look better" years ago. The bridle pieces for the headband came with the bit when her father gave it to her. Any idea on those? I've never seen anything like them.

View attachment 337437View attachment 337437View attachment 337438View attachment 337439View attachment 337440View attachment 337441
Def a cool piece. Do you know what size bit it is?

Cool. Trying to figure out the configuration of this bit. I get the horizontal slot at the top where the headstall goes; and the round hole for the curb chain hook; and the slobber bar; and the rings on the bottom of the shanks for the reins. But what is the vertical slot in the purchase for? I've never seen one with a slotted purchase. Is that center "dot" cast into the brass bit boss - between the U and the S? And dont the rivets used to attach the boss to the bit look more "humped up" than they're supposed to be? Here's a link to Harry Ridgeway's Relicman page with bits. http://www.relicman.com/miscellaneous/zArchiveCavalryBridleBit&Rosette.htm

Are the rosettes brass or nickle silver? They're gorgeous - whether original or not.

I actually have a very similar bit,,was the age of this bit ever determined? Here's the bit I have,, maybe its comparable age wise. Some people know absolutely nothing about horse tack,,,,I know less. I also have, what I was told,, is a mule/pack horse bridle, with US rosettes. I'd love to know if they are period correct,, heres the bit,, I can post bridle in the tomorrow. The knowledge of this entire forums members is simply baffling to a new member like myself. Thank you all for helping a newbie likie me.
16149997831867611855239329183705.jpg
16149996962003207625106892972760.jpg

I actually have a very similar bit,,was the age of this bit ever determined? Here's the bit I have,, maybe its comparable age wise. Some people know absolutely nothing about horse tack,,,,I know less. I also have, what I was told,, is a mule/pack horse bridle, with US rosettes. I'd love to know if they are period correct,, heres the bit,, I can post bridle in the tomorrow. The knowledge of this entire forums members is simply baffling to a new member like myself. Thank you all for helping a newbie likie me. View attachment 393269View attachment 393268
You have to give us a virtual tour of some of the great things in your collection!

View attachment 337437View attachment 337437View attachment 337438View attachment 337439View attachment 337440View attachment 337441
I am guessing WWI to pre WWII. But am not sure.
I dug a similar one near the ANV II Corps 1862 winter camp but the area was also used by the US army from the very early 20th century as a training site

The rosettes on the one I dug were brass. Mine had the same US stamp on both sides and not the eagle. From the looks of the eagle design, it’s appears to be early twenty century art work, would be very surprised if it were earlier than that.

Back