How NOT to unload your Municipal display cannon..."The Bombardment of Waterloo"

Well we were told a whale of a story when we took the house tour in 2006. This happened I think in the 50's when the two spinster sisters living in McRaven saw an ad in the paper by the Park service offering to remove for FREE any ordinance around Vicksburg. There was an un-exploded cannon ball stuck in between the floors of McRaven, some how had been wedged in there during the war. First, the Park Service balked, saying we meant if it was "stuck in the ground". But the ladies pointed out the promise didn't specify "where"... So a couple of employees show up, dig the ball out of the house, put the ball in the truck bed, and drive away. NOTE.... Harrison St. is VERY bumpy and ridden with POTHOLES. Guess what happened next???

Yes, the truck hit a pothole and BLAM...truck DESTROYED. Employees not injured thank goodness. PARK SERVICE renders bill to the sisters for compensation for their TRUCK. Sister's lawyer deftly argues that Park Department promised no charge. Sisters win the argument. If true a great story.
I was in Vicksburg about 30 years ago taking a home tour when the gardener came up to the lady of the house and whispered something in her ear, she excused herself and made a phone call. A short time later, a Vicksburg fire engine pulled up, two firefighters went to the back of the house, returned carrying something between them, put it in a box on the tailboard and drove off. I asked the home's owner what was going on and she said that the gardener had dug up a cannonball and the firefighters had come to get it. Later, we passed by the fire station and I asked what they did with recovered ordinance and they said that when they got enough, they took them out on the bridge and dropped them into the Mississippi-job done. Whether true,a semi true story or complete bull, it made for a rather interesting day in Vicksburg.

Young men, pool balls, toilet paper, explosives - what could possibly go wrong? :whistling: Now just add some beer and let the party begin!

I must be getting old - when I first took up Uncle Sam's shilling, I would have been the one right in the middle holding the cue ball and a beer...these days I would just watch...from a distance. Guess I'm not as immortal as I used to be...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

As an 18 year old recruit, new to the service, I would have been terrified to even THINK about being part of such a stunt. Now days, I would bring the beer...and THEN stand with you at a distance to see how the young folks did. :smile:

Older and not as fast as I used to be,
Unionblue

Back